An old picture postcard featuring four different views of Ratajno (German: Panthenau), c.1910.
Ratajno (former: Panthenau) is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Łagiewniki, within Dzierżoniów County, Lower Silesian Voivodeship, in south-western Poland.
An old postcard of the church in Ratajno (Pantenau), c.1911.
Ratajmo is located approximately 3 kilometres (2 miles) south-west of Łagiewniki, 20 km (12 miles) east of Dzierżoniów, and 42 km (26 miles) south-west of Wrocław.
The former Protestant church in the village of Ratajno (Panthenau), Lower Silesia, c.1933.
- Photographs and information on the nearby villages of Bielawa (Langenbielau); Gola Dzierzoniowska (Guhlau); Jaźwina (Langseifersdorf); Ligota Wielka (Groß Ellguth); Niemcza (Nimptsch); Oleszna (Langenoels); Pieszyce (Peterswaldau); Piława Górna (Gnadenfrei); Przystronie (Pristram); Sieniawka (Lauterbach); Słupice (Schlaupitz); Sokolniki (Wättrisch); and Walim (Wustewaltersdorf).
An old lithographic picture postcard of the Zoo in Wroclaw (Breslau), 1906.
Continuing in our series of images of Old Wroclaw (Breslau). Here are three interesting images of the city selected from our picture archive. The photographs and postcards on this page date from between 1906 and the start of the First World War in 1914.
The monument to the Prussian General Friedrich von Tauentzien in Wroclaw (Breslau) in early 1909.
Other pages featuring images of old Wroclaw:
- Wroclaw (Breslau) Through Time.
- Wroclaw / Breslau between 1898 and 1905.
- Wroclaw / Breslau 1914 – 1918.
- Wroclaw / Breslau 1918 – 1933.
- Wroclaw / Breslau 1933 – 1939.
- Wroclaw / Breslau 1939 – 1945.
- Wroclaw in the 1960s.
- Communist era Wroclaw.
Carl Girt and some of the shoemakers who worked for him posing outside his shop in Breslau in 1913.
A steam train at the railway station (bahnhof) in Niemcza (former: Nimptsch), c.1900.
Niemcza (former: Nimptsch) is a town in Lower Silesia (Niederschlesien / Dolny Śląsk), southwest Poland. It is located on the Sleza river and approximately 10 kilometres (6 miles) south of Łagiewniki, 20 kilometres (12 miles) east of Dzierżoniów, and 48 kilometres (30 miles) south of Wrocław.
Another view of the railway line in Niemcza (Nimptsch). This postcard was mailed in 1905.
Some random triva related to Niemcza:
- The German poet Friedrich von Logau was born in Niemcza in 1605.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe once lived in the town.
- A branch of the Gross-Rosen concentration camp was located in the town.
- After the war a large number of Greek refugees made Niemcza their home. There was even a Greek Primary school in the town up until the end of Communism in Poland.
- Much of Niemcza was flooded in 1997.
- The most recent census count put the population of Niemcza at just over 3,000.
The centre of Niemcza (Nimptsch) in Lower Silesia (Niederschlesien) as it looked in 1937.
See also the nearby towns of Dzierżoniów (Reichenbach im Eulengebirge), Łagiewniki (Heidersdorf), and Ligota Wielka (Groß Ellguth).
Srebrna Gora (former: Silberberg) in Lower Silesia as seen from the church tower, c.1907.
Srebrna Góra (former: Silberberg) is a village in the foothills of the Owl Mountains of Lower Silesia in southwest Poland.
The Hotel Deutsches Haus in Srebrna Góra (German: Silberberg), c.1928.
Srebrna Góra trivia facts:
- Srebrna Góra was called Silberberg and part of Germany until 1945.
- A rare example of an 18th century mountain stronghold, Fort Srebrna Góra (Festung Silberberg), can be seen on hills above the village.
- Srebrna Góra and Silberberg translates into English as Silver Mountain.
An aerial photograph of Srebrna Góra (Silberberg) in Lower Silesia (Schlesien), c.1939.
A panorama of Walim (Wuestewaltersdorf) in the Owl Mountains (Góry Sowie) of Lower Silesia (Schlesien), Poland.
Walim (former: Wüstewaltersdorf) is a large village in the Owl Mountains (Góry Sowie / Eulengebirge) of Lower Silesia.
The centre of Walim (German: Wüste Waltersdorf) in the Owl Mountains in the southwest of Poland.
Walim is located approximately 15 kilometres (9 miles) south-east of Wałbrzych, 20 kilometres (12 miles) west of Dzierżoniów, and 64 kilometres (40 miles) south-west of the Lower Silesian capital Wrocław.
The central part of Walim (Wustewaltersdorf) from another angle, c.1912.
Three things you might not know about Walim:
- The original name of Walin was Waltersdorf (meaning the village of Walter). Following the Thirty Years War and a plague outbreak or two the name was changed to Wüstewaltersdorf (the empty village of Walter). In 1945 after the area’s transfer to Poland it was renamed Łokietek and in 1946 the name changed to Walim.
- During the Second World War, a system of underground tunnels were dug in and around Walim. Some historians believe that these were to be Hitler’s headquarters. Others that armament factories were to be built here, out of reach of possible allied raids. This mysterious system of tunnels is known as the Riese project.
- At the last count Walim had a population of 2340.
Another old picture postcard view of Walim (Wustewaltersdorf), Lower Silesia, c.1914.
- Old images of the railway in Walim / Wuestewaltersdorf.
- Old picture postcards of the nearby village of Głuszyca (former: Wüstegiersdorf).
The Battle of Vienna took place on this date in 1683.
The Polish King John III Sobieski, commanding the Polish-Austrian-German force, won a magnificent victory over the Turks in Vienna. Historians regard this as one of the most decisive battles in the history of the world. It saved Christian Europe from Muslim domination.
Detail from a painting depicting the Battle of Vienna. The original can be seen in the Vatican Museum.
“We came, we saw, God conquered.” – The Polish King Sobieski writing to Pope Innocent XI.
Four different views of Zorawina (former: Rothsurben / Rothbach) in Lower Silesia, c.1914.
Żórawina (German: Rothsurben / Rothbach) is a small town, with a population of around 2,400, located in Lower Silesia, south-west Poland.
A Nazi era group of locals parade through Zorawina (Rothbach), c1937.
Three things you may not know about Żórawina
- Żórawina was called Rothsurben until 1937 when it was renamed Rothbach.
- Until 1945 Zorawina was part of Germany
- It is located 15 kilometres south of Wrocław on the railway line from Wrocław to Kłodzko.
The Catholic and Protestant churches, radio mast, and railway station in Żórawina (Rothbach), c.1939.
A lithograph of the manor house in Wilczyce (Wildschutz) near Wroclaw (Breslau), c.1890.
Wilczyce is a village on the eastern edge of the city of Wroclaw in southwest Poland.
Four photographs of Wilczyce (former: Wildschuetz) in Lower Silesia, c.1930.
Three things you might know about Wilczyce
- Wilczyce was called Wildschutz until 1945 and part of Germany.
- A magnificent manor house built at the beginning of the 18th century stood until 1945. Unfortunately it was was looted and destroyed at the end of World War II.
- At the most recent census the population of Wilczyce was recorded as 1,384.
Four more images of Wilczyce (Wildschutz), near Wroclaw (Breslau), c.1930.
See also: the nearby village of Kiełczów (former: Gross Wiegelsdorf)
A thithographic picture postcard of Sobótka (Zobten) in Lower Silesia, c.1899.
Sobótka (former: Zobten a. Berge) is a small town located at the foot of the Ślęża mountain and situated around 35 kilometres southwest of the city of Wroclaw in Lower Silesia.
Another old postcard showing the mountains towering above Sobótka (Zobten am Berge), c.1912.
Potentially fascinating facts concerning Sobótka
- Sobotka is one of the oldest Polish towns settled under German law. It obtained these rights in 1221.
- Sobotka is located at the foot of the Ślęża (Zobelberg) mountain.
- Prior to 1934 Sobótka was called Zobten am Berge and part of Germany.
- In 1934 in line with the Germanization of the old Slavic names in Silesia, its name was changed to Siling.
- The town was captured by the Soviet Red Army on May 7th 1945 and following the transfer of Upper Silesia to Poland it was renamed Sobótka.
The railway station in Sobotka (Zobten am Berge) with the twin mountains behind. Posted in 1916.
The two churches in the centre of Sobótka (Zobten), near Wroclaw (Breslau), c.1928.
Other random facts about Sobotka
- Sobotka Zachodnia station on the Wrocław Główny – Świdnica – Jedlina Zdrój railway line is currently closed. But there are some plans to reopen the line.
- The population of Sobotka is currently approximately 6,800.
An old picture postcard of Swidnica street in Sobotka (Zobten a. Berge), c.1937.
Did you know that one of the earliest popular computers was invented by a Pole?
The Commodore 64, also known as the C64 or the CBM 64, is an 8-bit home computer introduced in January 1982 by Commodore International. It has been listed in the Guinness World Records as the highest-selling single computer model of all time. The model was discontinued in 1994 and more than 10 million units were sold.
It was invented by Jacek Trzmiel, who later changed his name to Jack Tramiel. Jacek was a Polish Jew who survived being sent to the German concentration camp at Auschwitz, and emigrated to the USA after the war. While living in America he established the Commodore office equipment company, which went on to develop and produce the iconic Commodore 64 computer.