Archaeological Excavation in Poland

zantoch santok poland

A photograph of the 1934 archaeological excavation undertaken in the village of Zantoch (Santok) by the State Museum of Prehistory in Berlin.

Santok, as it is now called, was described in a Polish Chronicle written in between 1112 and 1116, as the “watchtower and the key to the kingdom”. As a result, the location has over time been examined closely by both German and Polish archaeologists looking for ‘proof’ of some sort of historical claim on the area. This part of Central Europe has swung between Polish and German control over the course of many centuries.

zantoch

A German-era photograph of the watchtower on the hill overlooking the town of Zantoch / Santok.

Related content on Polish Poland:
- More old images of pre-war Zantoch / Santok.
- Information on and images of present-day Santok.

Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on Twitter

Leave a Reply