A selection of old picture postcards and photographs of Arnswalde in the Neumark as it looked before the Second World War. Since 1945, Arnswalde has been called Choszczno and been part of Poland.
Arnswalde Neumark into Choszczno
At the end of World War Two the inhabitants of Arnswalde, who were almost all German, either fled westwards or were expelled when Arnswalde fell to the Soviet Red Army in February 1945. Arnswalde was then handed over to Poland and renamed Choszczno
Choszczno was then repopulated by Poles who had left former Polish territories, now in Ukraine, which had been lost to Poland in the redrawing borders at the end of the Second World War.
Choszczno (Arnswalde) is a town with a population of approximately 16,000 in the province of Western Pomeranian (Zachodniopomorskie), Poland.
Related content on Polish Poland: More information on and images of Choszczno.