An old picture postcard of the River Neisse in Jawor (Jauer). Mailed in 1899 to Landsberg a/ W (Gorzów).
Jawor (former: Jauer) is a town with a population of around 24,000 in the province of Lower Silesia (Dolnośląskie) in south-west Poland. Here is some interesting information related to the town and a selection of images of Jawor through time. These images date from the late 19th century up to the present day.
An old postcard of shops and people on ul. Grunwaldzka (Goldeberger Strasse) in Jawor (Jauer), c.1905.
Selected trivia related to Jawor:
- In 1940 approximately 13,000 people lived in the town.
- Prior to 1945 Jawor was called Jauer and part of Germany.
- The name Jawor is Polish for ‘sycamore’.
The view looking out through the arches under the town hall looking at on the Rynek in Jawor (Jauer), c.1939.
Useful to know:
- Jawor is located approximately 60 kilometres (38 miles) west of the regional capital, Wrocław.
- The postcode for Jawor is 59-400. All cars registered here have number plates beginning with the letters DJA.
- Since 2001 Jawor has been a UNESCO World Heritage site.
The Rynek (Market Square) area of Jawor, Lower Silesia, Poland, c.1967.
Notable persons from Jawor include:
- Christoff Rudolff (1499-1545), author of the one of the first textbooks on algebra.
- The German archeologist, Gerhard Bersu (1889-1964).
Another photograph of the Rynek (Market) in Jawor, Poland. This photo was taken in the early 1980s.
Things to see in Jawor include:
- The historic town centre with many buildings dating back to the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries.
- The 13th century castle and what remains of the 14th century town walls.
- The former Jewish cemetery.
- The regional museum located in the former Bernardine monastery, which includes a gallery of Silesian Sacred Art, including both sculpture and paintings.
Related content on Polish Poland:
- Information and photographs on the nearby cities of Legnica and Złotoryja.
- View an interactive map of Jawor (opens in new window).