Information on and photographs of the village of Bledzew in Lubuskie, western Poland.
Bledzew is a village in the Miedzyrzecz district, and is around 25 kilometers south of the large city of Gorzow Wielkopolski and 10 kilometres south-west of the town of Skwierzyna. The River Obra flows to the east of the village and an attractive historic bridge takes the road from Bledzew to Skwierzyna over it.
Some things you may not know about Bledzew:
- A 13th century Cistercian Abbey once stood in Bledzew. Sadly it was demolished in the 1840s.
- A small hydroelectric power station was constructed near Bledzew in 1911. As a result of this the attractive Bledzewski lagoon lake was formed.
- Prior to 1945 Bledzew was called Blesen and part of East Brandenburg / Neumark.
- The Polish writer Eugeniusz Paukszta based his novel ‘Znak żółwia’ (Sign Turtle) in and around Bledzew.
- There were once three water mills in Bledzew. Only one survives today.
- Bledzew has a small disused Jewish cemetery with around twenty tombstones.
Here are a couple maps showing exactly where Bledzew is in the world. The first map is interactive!
The GPS coordinates for Bledzew are: 52°31′02″N 15°24′53″E.