Czarnikau / Czarnków
A selection of old images of the small town of Czarnikau (Czarnikau) in Wielkopolskie, Poland.
Czarnków (Czarnikau / Scharnikau) has a population of around 12,000 inhabitants and is located on the Notec river. Due to the many hills around the town in an otherwise generally flat landscape, the area is sometimes referred to as Swiss Czarnków / Szwajcaria Czarnkowska.
With the defeat of Germany in the First World War the town became part of the Second Polish Republic and found itself located right on on the new German-Polish border. As a result of this new border the western part of the town remained within Germany and was renamed ‘Deutsch Czarnikau’ and then changed again to ‘Scharnikau’ in 1937. The eastern part continued as Czarnikau but as part of Poland. Following the redrawing of the German / Polish border at the end of the Second World War the whole town became Polish and was renamed Czarnków.