Three photographs of Gotenhafen (Gdynia) during the German occupation 1939-1945.
Gdingen into Gdynia into Gofenhafen into Gdynia
Until the end of the Second World War Gotenhafen was named Gdingen and was a popular tourist spot with several guest houses, restaurants, cafes, several houses and a small harbour with a pier. Then following the Treaty of Versailles Gdingen was renamed Gdynia and along with other parts of former West Prussia, became a part of the new Republic of Poland. Then again at the start of World War Two, Gdynia was occupied in September 1939 by German troops and renamed Gotenhafen – after the Goths, an ancient Germanic tribe, who had once lived in the area.
See also: pictures from the Polish Poland archive of inter-war Gydnia.
Gdynia (German: Gdingen / Gotenhafen 1939-1945) is a city in Kashubia in Eastern Pomerania of Poland and an important seaport in Gdansk Bay on the Baltic Sea. Gdynia is part of Tricity (Trójmiasto), the conurbation of Sopot, Gdańsk and Gdynia. The combined city has a population of over a million people.