Information on and a selection of old images of Lubań (Lauban), Lower Silesia, south-west Poland.
A few things you may not know about Lubań:
- Until 1945 Lubań was called Lauban and part of Germany.
- Karl Hanke, Gruppenführer SS, and personal secretary of Joseph Goebbels was born in Lauban / Luban.
- Around 60% of Lauban / Luban was destroyed in the fighting between German defensive forces and the Red Army in February and March 1945.
- Trains from Lubań connect it with cities like Görlitz, Jelenia Gora, Węgliniec, Wroclaw and Zielona Góra.
- Lubań is approximately 25 kilometres east of Zgorzelec and 45 kilometres north-west of Jelenia Gora.
- The present-day population of the town of Lubań is just over 22,000.
Related content on Polish Poland: Old images of the nearby city of Jelenia Gora.