Three pre-war pictures of Liegnitz, Silesia, since 1945, Legnica, Poland.
Liegnitz into Legnica
Census records show that Liegnitz’s population before the Second World War was 95% German. The other inhabitants of the city describing themselves as Wendish, German and Polish, Czech, and Polish. All this changed in 1945. After the defeat of Nazi Germany in World War II, Liegnitz and all of Silesia east of the Neisse was transferred to Poland following the Potsdam Conference in 1945. The German population was expelled between 1945 and 1947 and replaced with Poles and the town renamed Legnica.
Legnica / Liegnitz is a city in the central part of Lower Silesia in the south west of Poland. Legnica has a population of just over 100,000 and is the third largest city in the voivodeship (after Wrocław and Wałbrzych) and 38th in Poland.