Lubno is a village in the adminstrative district of Lubiszyn on the county of Gorzów in the province of Lubuskie in western Poland. Prior to the end of World War Two in mid 1945, Lubno, was called Liebenow and part of Brandenburg, Germany.
Selected trivia concerning Lubno:
- The church dates back to the 13th century and is late Romanesque in style. It is dedicated to St. Joseph (św. Józefa).
- 717 people lived in Lubno (Liebenow) in 1933.
- The German writer Gerdt von Bassewitz spent several summers in Lubno (Liebenow) as a child.
- The medieval wooden church furnishings were used as fuel for a fire by Soviet soldiers to keep warm on the night of 31.01 / 1.02.1945.
Further information on Lubno:
- The neo-gothic manor house, which was built between 1865 and 1875 survived the war, but was stripped and largely demolished in the 1960s. It is now very much a ruin.
- Lubno was awarded the title ‘most beautiful Lubuskie village’ in 2013.
- Lubno has its own pre-school and primary school.
- The latest official records show that 797 people live in Lubno.
Related content on Polish Poland:
- Old archive images and information on the manor house (schloss) in Lubno / Liebenow.