Three old picture postcards of Lwow (Lemberg), Galicia, Poland.
Lwow (Lviv in Ukrainian / Lemberg in German) is a city in what is now western Ukraine and at one time the capital of Lwów Voivodeship during the Second Polish Republic. With the joint German–Soviet Invasion of Poland at the start of the Second World War, the city of Lwów and its province were annexed by the Soviet Union and became part of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic from 1939 to 1941. Between July 1941 and July 1944 Lwów was under German occupation, and was located in the General Government. In July 1944 it was captured by the Soviet Red Army. At the end of the war, Lwów became part of Ukraine, and many of the Poles living in Lwow relocated to the areas (Silesia, East Brandenburg, Pomerania) newly acquired from Germany under the terms of the Potsdam Agreement.