Hammer / Rudnica

hammer rudnica

Various scenes of Rudnica (Hammer) on a old litho picture postcard dating back to 1898.

Rudnica (former: Hammer) is a village in the province of Lubuskie in the west of Poland.

rudnica hammer gorzów

Four pictures of Rudnica, including the railway station, in Rudnica (Hammer), c.1929.

Some things you may not know about Rudnica:
- Until 1945 Rudnica was called Hammer and part of Germany.
- At the last official count 375 people lived in Rudnica.
- Rudnica is located in the Krzeszyce gmina (district) of Sulecin county.
- A railway line once connected Rudnica to Sulecin and Gorzow. It closed in the 1990s.
- It is located approximately 14 kilometres south-west of the city of Gorzów Wielkopolski.

Rudnica Hammer

An old postcard of Rudnica (Hammer) featuring the church, shop, mill, and school and in Rudnica (Hammer), c.1933.

Related content on Polish Poland:

- Information on the nearby village of Kołczyn and towns of Sulecin and Lubniewice.


jauer jawor

An old picture postcard of the River Neisse in Jawor (Jauer). Mailed in 1899 to Landsberg a/ W (Gorzów).

Jawor (former: Jauer) is a town with a population of around 24,000 in the province of Lower Silesia (Dolnośląskie) in south-west Poland. Here is some interesting information related to the town and a selection of images of Jawor through time. These images date from the late 19th century up to the present day.

jauer jawor polen

An old postcard of shops and people on ul. Grunwaldzka (Goldeberger Strasse) in Jawor (Jauer), c.1905.

Selected trivia related to Jawor:
- In 1940 approximately 13,000 people lived in the town.
- Prior to 1945 Jawor was called Jauer and part of Germany.
- The name Jawor is Polish for ‘sycamore’.

jauer jawor

The view looking out through the arches under the town hall looking at on the Rynek in Jawor (Jauer), c.1939.

Useful to know:
- Jawor is located approximately 60 kilometres (38 miles) west of the regional capital, Wrocław.
- The postcode for Jawor is 59-400. All cars registered here have number plates beginning with the letters DJA.
- Since 2001 Jawor has been a UNESCO World Heritage site.


The Rynek (Market Square) area of Jawor, Lower Silesia, Poland, c.1967.

Notable persons from Jawor include:
- Christoff Rudolff (1499-1545), author of the one of the first textbooks on algebra.
- The German archeologist, Gerhard Bersu (1889-1964).

jawor poland

Another photograph of the Rynek (Market) in Jawor, Poland. This photo was taken in the early 1980s.

Things to see in Jawor include:
- The historic town centre with many buildings dating back to the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries.
- The 13th century castle and what remains of the 14th century town walls.
- The former Jewish cemetery.
- The regional museum located in the former Bernardine monastery, which includes a gallery of Silesian Sacred Art, including both sculpture and paintings.

Related content on Polish Poland:
- Information and photographs on the nearby cities of Legnica and Złotoryja.

Useful link:
- View an interactive map of Jawor (opens in new window).

Volcanoes in Poland

volcano Grodczyn

An aerial view of Grodczyn (Grodziec), one of only three volcanoes located in Poland.

Volcanoes can be classified as active, dormant or extinct. There are no active or dormant volcanoes in Poland. But there are three extinct volcanoes. They are Ostrzyca located north of Jelenia Gora; Grodczyn near Duszninki; and Wilcza Góra near Zlotoryja. However, there really is no reason to be concerned, the most recent of these to erupt was Ostrzyca around four million years ago!


Janczewo gorzow landsberg

A picture postcard featuring Armin Postler’s guesthouse in Janczewo (Jahnsfeld), near Gorzów (Landsberg), c.1911.

Janczewo (former: Jahnsfelde) is a small village with a population of just under 1,200 located just outside the city of Gorzów (Landsberg an der Warthe), in the province of Lubuskie in the west of Poland.

janczewo jahnsfelde

A pre-war photograph of ducks on the village pond and the 18th century church in Janczewo (Jahnsfelde).

Related content: further information on and old images of Janczewo / Jahnsfelde.


Lutycy were a Western Slavic people, who banded together from at least the 8th century, in the area between the Baltic Sea to the north, the Lower Oder River to the east, the River Elbe to the west, and Lusatia in the south. Of the many Lutycy tribes, the Ratarowie and Stodoranie (Hawolanie) were the largest and most powerful. The Lutycy and the Obodrites formed part of the confederation known as the Polabs or Polabian Slavs.


The Lutycy successfully opposed both the expansion of German tribes (especially the great uprising of 983) and Poland’s first Piasts. However, by the second half of the eleventh century they had fallen victim to the expansion of its neighbours and disappeared as a separate distinct group or tribe.


Here are three works of art by the Polish artist Feliks Michal Wygrzywalski.

feliks michal wygrzywalski

Feliks Michał Wygrzywalski was born in Przemysl in 1875 and spent much of his working life in Lwow. He died in Rzeszów in 1944.

feliks michal wygrzywalski

He is probably best known for his paintings of oriental and coastal scenes. His son, Felix Kazimierz Wygrzywalski was also an artist who painted in a similar style.

feliks michal wygrzywalski polish

More about Polish artists.


Dopiewo wielkopolskie

An old picture postcard showing people gathered outside the village stores in Dopiewo, Wielkopolskie, c.1918.

Dopiewo (former: Wanenfeld) is a small town with a population of around 2,900 in the Wielkopolskie province of west central Poland.

dopiewo Wanenfeld windmill

The wooden tower-type windmill in Dopiewo (Wanenfeld), Wielkopolskie, as it looked sometime in the early 1940s.

Some random facts you may not know about Dopiewo:
- The first church was built in Dopiewo in 1366. It is named The Church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
- Between 1939 and 1945 Dopiewo became part of the Landkreis Posen, Reichsgau Wartheland. It was renamed Wanenfeld in 1942 and remained that way until it was liberated by the Soviet Red Army in January 1945.
-Dopiewo is located approximately 17 kilometres (11 miles) west of the regional capital Poznań.
- The postcode for Dopiewo is 62-070.


An aerial photograph of Dopiewo with the street names and railway line marked.


rzeszow bahnhof pl

An old photograph of the railway station in Rzeszow, Poland, c.1910.

Rzeszów is a city in and capital of the Podkarpackie Province of south-east Poland.

nowy rynek rzeszow

An old picture postcard image of Nowy Rynek and plac Wolności in Rzeszów, Poland, c.1911.

Some things you may not know about Rzeszow:
- In 1939 around one third of the inhabitants of Rzeszow were Jewish.
- Most of the Jews of Rzeszow were placed in a ghetto by the Germans and later taken to the death camp in Belzec or shot in the forests north of Rzeszow. The numbers of Rzeszow Jews killed by the Germans in this way is believed to be in excess of 12,000.
- In 1941 the Germans renamed the city Reichshof.

rzeszow rynek pl

The monument to Tadeusz Kościuszki in the Rynek (Market) area of Rzeszow in the 1920s.

Other random trivia connected with Rzeszów:
- Rzeszow was liberated from Nazi occupation in early August 1944.
- The River Wisłok, a tributary of the River San flows through the city.
- The current official population of Rzeszów is 188,000.


A photograph of the railway station in Rzeszów in early 1940. Note the large numbers of German soldiers.

See some archive images of 1970s Rzeszów.


Lubno is a village in the adminstrative district of Lubiszyn on the county of Gorzów in the province of Lubuskie in western Poland. Prior to the end of World War Two in mid 1945, Lubno, was called Liebenow and part of Brandenburg, Germany.

Selected trivia concerning Lubno:
- The church dates back to the 13th century and is late Romanesque in style. It is dedicated to St. Joseph (św. Józefa).
- 717 people lived in Lubno (Liebenow) in 1933.
- The German writer Gerdt von Bassewitz spent several summers in Lubno (Liebenow) as a child.
- The medieval wooden church furnishings were used as fuel for a fire by Soviet soldiers to keep warm on the night of 31.01 / 1.02.1945.

Further information on Lubno:
- The neo-gothic manor house, which was built between 1865 and 1875 survived the war, but was stripped and largely demolished in the 1960s. It is now very much a ruin.
- Lubno was awarded the title ‘most beautiful Lubuskie village’ in 2013.
- Lubno has its own pre-school and primary school.
- The latest official records show that 797 people live in Lubno.

Related content on Polish Poland:
- Old archive images and information on the manor house (schloss) in Lubno / Liebenow.

Hajduki Nyskie

Hajduki Nyskie

Four photographic images on a postcard of Hajduki Nyskie (Heidau), c.1939.

Today we present two old pre-war picture postcards and a photograph from our archive of the village of Hajduki Nyskie (former: Heidau). Hajduki Nyskie is located in Nysa county in the province of Opole in the south-west of Poland.

hajduki nyskie heidau neisse

A photograph of the Church of St. George in Hajduki Nyskie (Heidau Neisse) in early 1939.

The population of Hajduki Nyskie currently numbers around 700.

hajduki nyskie heidau neisse

Four more picture postcard views of Hajduki Nyskie (Heidau Neisse), c.1939.

Hajduki Nyskie is located approximately 5 kilometres (3 miles) south-east of the town of Nysa.