A selection of pre-war images of the town of Piotrków Trybunalski, in the Lodz province of central Poland.
Some things you may not know about Piotrkow:
- The German name for Piotrków is Petrikau.
- Piotrkow Trybunalski was until World War Two one of the most important Jewish centres in Poland.
- More than 20,000 Jews from Piotrkow and the area around were deported to the Nazi death camp in Treblinka.
- Piotrkow was liberated by the Red Army on the 18th January 1945.
- Piotrkow was only named Piotrków Trybunalski after the Second World War. Prior to this it was just Piotrków.
- A plethora of Polish films have been made in Piotrkow. These include: the 1960s comedy film ‘Jihad’ (Holy War) by Julian Field; ‘Pan Tadeusz’ by Andrzej Wajda; ‘In Darkness’ by Agnieszka Holland; and ’1920 Battle of Warsaw’ by Jerzy Hoffman.
- Piotrków Trybunalski is located on the Warsaw – Koluszki – Lubliniec / Czestochowa – Katowice railway line.
- The former 18th century ‘Great Synagogue’ is now the Public Library.
- Some elements of the fourteenth and fifteenth century city walls can still be seen.
- Sigismund the 1st had his Royal Castle in Piotrkow. It is now a museum.
- Poland’s first ever breakdancing championships were held in Piotrków Trybunalski in 1985!
- The population of Piotrków is currently around 75,000.
Related content on Polish Poland: old pre-war images of the nearby city of Lodz.