Something eaten by many Poles on a regular basis is wild mushroom sauce. Here is one of two recipes we use to make our sauce. A link to the other recipe can be found at the bottom of the page. Both go extremely well with many Polish dishes.
Polish Mushroom Sauce
- 25g unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 100g Podgrzybek or Borowik mushrooms
- 50ml double cream
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the garlic and onion (if you are including it). Fry gently until soft.
- Add the wild mushrooms and double cream and gently simmer for around five minutes.
- Serve warm over any meat or vegetables.
We generally use dried mushrooms for the recipe but during the autumn mushroom picking season fresh Podgrzybek or Borowik mushrooms are used.