A Second World War photograph of Jews gathered at a water pump in the centre of the small town of Błaszki, Poland. After the invasion of Poland by Germany, Błaszki was renamed Schwarzau and became part of the Wartheland / Warthegau.
In 1939 the population of Błaszki was just over 5700, of which almost 50% were Jews. There was a synagogue and two Jewish cemeteries. Neither the Jewish cemeteries, synagogue, or Jewish population survived the war.
Related content on Polish Poland: information on and old images of the nearby town of Sieradz.