Three old photographs of Schweidnitz, Lower Silesia, since 1945, Swidnica, Poland.
Schweidnitz in to Swidnica
After the defeat of Nazi Germany in 1945, the town became part of Poland following the decisions made at the Potsdam Conference. The town was renamed Swidnica, and the German population who had not fled the advancing Soviet army were expelled to the now-smaller Germany. They were replaced with Poles, most of whom had been expelled themselves from former Polish areas annexed by the Soviet Union.
Świdnica (Schweidnitz) is a town with a population of just under 60,000. It is located in the Lower Silesia (Dolnośląskie) province of south-western Poland.
Related content: old images of the railway station in Swidnica.