Suwałki Through Time
A selection of images showing the town of Suwałki in the Podlaskie province of north-east Poland.
Some things you may not know about Suwalki:
- Suwalki is located close to the border with Lithuania, the Kaliningrad region Russia and Belarus.
- Suwałki is the second largest city in the province of Podlaskie.
- Suwałki is on of the coldest places in Poland! Temperatures can drop to around -24 Degrees Celsius in winter.
- A rather splendid statue of Pope John Paul II has stood in Jozef Pilsudski Square the since 2007.
- Although most of the population of Suwalki are Roman Catholics and served by ten diferent Catholic churches, there are also several other churches and religions present. These include: a Seventh Day Adventist Church, two congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses, a Lutheran Church, two Orthodox Churches, a Pentecostal Church, and a Buddhist centre.
Related content on Polish Poland; more old images of Suwalki prior to 1919.