Some archive photographs of a synagogue in the small town of Wolsztyn (Wollstein) in the west of Poland.
The synagogue in Wolsztyn was built in 1842 and extensively renovated in 1896. It served the diminishing Jewish population of the town until 1939 when it went completely out of use. During the war it suffered some damage and was converted in to a cinema when the war ended. It continued as the ‘Tatry’ cinema until the end of the communist period.
In the late 1990s, the synagogue building was claimed by the Poznan Jewish community, who then sold it to a private investor, who planned to convert it in to a shopping centre. However, the building burnt down under mysterious circumstances at the end of last year (2009) and is no more.
There are some plans to rebuild some sort of commercial property on the site, perhaps incorporating a frontage in the style of the original synagog.
Related content on Polish Poland: old pre-war images of Wollstein / Wolsztyn.