The Great Synagogue was the largest synagogue in Katowice (Kattowitz). It was built in 1900 and designed by Ignatz Gruenfeld. The synagogue was set on fire and destroyed on the 4th September 1939.
On the spot where this building once stood there is now an area named Synagogue Square with a monument to the Jewish inhabitants of Katowice who perished during the Second World War.
Katowice is a city in Upper Silesia in the south of Poland, on the Klodnica and Rawa rivers (tributaries of the Oder and the Vistula respectively).
See also: Information on and old pre-war images of Kattowitz / Katowice.