The Great Synagogue on Tlomackie Street in Warsaw, Poland, as it looked in 1917. Click on image to enlarge.
Great Synagogue of Warsaw was one of the finest buildings built in Poland in the 19th century and at the time of its opening was the largest synagogue in the world.
The Synagogue was built by the Warsaw’s Jewish community between 1875 and 1878 and was blown-up after the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising on 16th May 1943 by the SS. A skyscraper built in the 1980s now stands on the site.
Interesting fact: Warsaw once had a Jewish population equal to the number of Jews living in all of France.