Tag Archives: Barlinek

Barlinek

Barlinek in Zachodniopomorskie (Western Pomerania)

Barlinek berlinchen

The fountain in the middle of the Market Square in Barlinek in 1965,.

A selection of images of the small town of Barlinek in the north-west of Poland.

Barlinek

Another mid 1960s photograph of the main square in Barlinek, Poland.

Berlinchen in to Barlinek:
- Berlinchen, which until 1945 had been part of the German province of East Brandenburg / Neumark was renamed Barlinek at the end of the Second World War.
- On the 31st January 1945 Berlinchen / Barlinek was captured by Soviet Red Army troops of the XII Armoured Corps and as a result of the battle and deliberate arson more than half of the buildings were destroyed.
- The German inhabitants of the town were expelled after the war and replaced by Poles who, in many cases, had themselves been expelled from what is now Ukraine.

barlinek polen

Holidaymakers having fun in and on the lake in Barlinek, c.1974.

Some other things you may not know about Barlinek:
- The World Champion chess player Emanuel Lasker was born in Berlinchen / Barlinek in 1868.
- A railway line once connected Barlinek with Myslibórz and Choszczno. It is now closed.
- Barlinek is famous locally and throughout Poland for the wood panel flooring factory located there.
- Barlinek promotes itself as the European Capital of Nordic Walking!
- Barlinek has a population of around 14,000.
- The Omega class of the Polish Sailing Championships take place in Barlinek each year.

barlinek poland

A scan of a picture postcard sent to us by a friend who had a vacation in Barlinek in 1999.

Related content on Polish Poland: old pre-war images of Berlinchen / Barlinek.

Berlinchen / Barlinek

Pre-War Berlinchen Nm (Barlinek)

Berlinchen neumark de

An elevated view of the lake and part of Berlinchen Neumark (Barlinek), c.1912.

berlinchen nm landsberg warthe

An old map of the Berlinchen and Landsberg Warthe area of East Brandenburg, Germany, c.1914. Click to enlarge.

A selection of old pre-war images and a map of Berlinchen, Neumark (East Brandenburg). Since 1945, berlinchen has been part of Poland and is now called Barlinek.

berlinchen nm barlinek

An old photograph of Bahnhofstrasse in Berlinchen Nm (Barlinek), c.1910.

Berlinchen de Barlinek pl

The central square, fountain, and church in Berlinchen Nm / Barlinek, c.1930.

berlinchen neumark

Changing rooms set up for swimmers beside the lake in Berlinchen / Barlinek, c.1930.

berlinchen barlinek

A photographic postcard of the lake and town of Berlinchen (Barlinek), c.1939.

Related content on Polish Poland: Information on and images of Barlinek (1945 -)