Tag Archives: Czarnikau

Czarnków

Czarnków

A photograph of pl. Wolności in Czarnków, north of Poznan, c.1960.

A selection of post-war images of Czarnków (former: Czarnikau) in the province of Wielkopolskie, Poland.

czarnkow polska

The rather impressive Red Army monument in Czarnkow, c.1974.

Did you know that:
– the renowned artist Waclaw Taranczewski was born in Czarnków in 1903.

czarnkow wielkopolskie

A ground level look at cars parked on plac Wolnosci in Czarnkow, Wielkopolskie, c.1974.

See also: Information on and images of pre-war Czarnkow / Czarnikau.

Czarnikau / Czarnków

czarnikau

An old postcard showing the building of the railway in Czarnikau. This mailed to Frankfurt an der Oder in 1902,

Czarnikau / Czarnków

A selection of old images of the small town of Czarnikau (Czarnikau) in Wielkopolskie, Poland.

czarnikau czarnkow

An overall picture postcard view of how Czarnikau / Czarnkow looked in the late 1910s.

Czarnków (Czarnikau / Scharnikau) has a population of around 12,000 inhabitants and is located on the Notec river. Due to the many hills around the town in an otherwise generally flat landscape, the area is sometimes referred to as Swiss Czarnków / Szwajcaria Czarnkowska.

Czarnikau Czarnków

A vintage picture postcard of Kościuszki Tadeusza street in Czernikau / Czarnków, c.1918.

Czarnikau Scharnikau

A similar view of the same part of Czarnikau / Scharnikau, now renamed Hermann Goering Strasse. c.1939.

With the defeat of Germany in the First World War the town became part of the Second Polish Republic and found itself located right on on the new German-Polish border. As a result of this new border the western part of the town remained within Germany and was renamed ‘Deutsch Czarnikau’ and then changed again to ‘Scharnikau’ in 1937. The eastern part continued as Czarnikau but as part of Poland. Following the redrawing of the German / Polish border at the end of the Second World War the whole town became Polish and was renamed Czarnków.