Three photographs showing Gniezno, through time (1960 – 1985). Click on images to enlarge.
A monochrome photograph of the town of Gniezno, Poland, in the 1960s
A simply wonderful photograph of a busy street scene in Gniezno, Poland, in the late 1960s.
Looking across the lake towards the Cathedral of St John the Baptist in Gniezno in 1985.
Gniezno (Gnesen) is a town with a population of approximately 70,000 people. It is located in the Wielkopolska Province and was once the capital of Piast Poland.
A photograph of the crowd gathered for Pope John Paul’s visit to Gniezno in June 1979
Pope John Paul (Jan Pawel) visited Gniezno in Poland on at least two occasions, the first at the beginning of June 1979 and then again 1997. Here are two interesting items from our collection of all things Polish commemorating his visit.
A commemorative cover and postage stamp issued on the day of the Pope’s visit to Gnieszno in June 1997.
More about the first Polish Pope John Paul, who was Pope from 1978 through to 2005.
Related: Pictures of Gniezno between 1960 and 1985.
Three photographs of Gniezno / Gnesen as it looked before the end of the Second World War.
A photograph of Gniezno (Gnesen) taken before the First World War on a postcard posted in 1920.
A photographic postcard of Gnesen / Gniezno taken in 1941 when the town reverted to the name used prior to 1918.
Another look at Gniezno during the German occupation of the town during World War Two.
Gniezno is situated in the north-east part of the Greater Poland region. Historically it was one of the most important locations around the time of the Polish state – in 10th and 11th centuries.
Related: More pictures of Gniezno Through Time (1960 – 1985).