A panorama of Walim (Wuestewaltersdorf) in the Owl Mountains (Góry Sowie) of Lower Silesia (Schlesien), Poland.
Walim (former: Wüstewaltersdorf) is a large village in the Owl Mountains (Góry Sowie / Eulengebirge) of Lower Silesia.
The centre of Walim (German: Wüste Waltersdorf) in the Owl Mountains in the southwest of Poland.
Walim is located approximately 15 kilometres (9 miles) south-east of Wałbrzych, 20 kilometres (12 miles) west of Dzierżoniów, and 64 kilometres (40 miles) south-west of the Lower Silesian capital Wrocław.
The central part of Walim (Wustewaltersdorf) from another angle, c.1912.
Three things you might not know about Walim:
- The original name of Walin was Waltersdorf (meaning the village of Walter). Following the Thirty Years War and a plague outbreak or two the name was changed to Wüstewaltersdorf (the empty village of Walter). In 1945 after the area’s transfer to Poland it was renamed Łokietek and in 1946 the name changed to Walim.
- During the Second World War, a system of underground tunnels were dug in and around Walim. Some historians believe that these were to be Hitler’s headquarters. Others that armament factories were to be built here, out of reach of possible allied raids. This mysterious system of tunnels is known as the Riese project.
- At the last count Walim had a population of 2340.
Another old picture postcard view of Walim (Wustewaltersdorf), Lower Silesia, c.1914.
- Old images of the railway in Walim / Wuestewaltersdorf.
- Old picture postcards of the nearby village of Głuszyca (former: Wüstegiersdorf).
the village of Głuszyca (former: Wüstegiersdorf) close to the Owl Mountains of Lower Silesia, c.1909.
Głuszyca (former: Wüstegiersdorf) is a village between the Owl Mountains (Góry Sowie / Eulengebirge) and Stone Mountains (Góry Kamienne) in the centarl Sudetan in the far south of Lower Silesia.
The church in Głuszyca (German: Wüstegiersdorf) in Lower Silesia, c.1910.
Three things you might not know about Gluszyca:
- A branch of the German concentration camp Gross-Rosen operated in Gluszyca for prisoners and forced laborers employed in the mysterious Riese complex.
- The population of Głuszyca numbered around 6,700 at the last count.
- Gluszyca has a station on the Kłodzko – Wałbrzych railway line.
An old picture postcard of Głuszyca (German: Wüstegiersdorf) posted in 1939 to Wroclaw (Breslau).
Old images of the nearby village of Walim (Wüstewaltersdorf)