Tag Archives: Jewish

Jews in Warsaw

Jews Poland

An image taken from a glass negative of a very busy market square in Warsaw at the end of the 19th century.

A low resolution scan of a newly acquired glass negative of Jews and Poles trading and shopping at a very busy market in Warsaw, c.1895.

Come back soon to see more of Poland, past and present!

Jews in Poland

Jews in Poland

A picture postcard posted from Krakow to Dresden in 1907.

A picture postcard of a group of Jews in Krakow at the beginning of the 20th century.

Click on image above to view the picture in a larger size. This is an absolutely splendid image.

synagoge polen

The synagogue in Bielitz Biala (Bielsko-Biała), Poland, c.1910.

Selected related content on Polish Poland:

The synagogue in Bielsko-Biala.

The synagogue in Lodz.

The synagogue in Warsaw.

Warsaw Ghetto Uprising

The Polish Post Office have just issued a special First Day Cover commemorating the 70th anniversary of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. A scan of the cover can be seen at the bottom of this page along with a similar special envelope and stamp produced to remember the 20th anniversary on 1963.

Warsaw Ghetto Uprising

A special cover and stamp issued to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising.

The Warsaw Ghetto Uprising was an act of Jewish resistance that arose within the Warsaw Ghetto in German-occupied Poland in April 1943. The uprising opposed Nazi Germany’s final efforts to transport the remaining population of the Jewish Ghetto to the concentration camp in Treblinka. The uprising ended when despite fierce fighting the ghetto was finally liquidated on the 16th May. This was the largest single revolt by Jews during World War Two.

warsaw ghetto uprising 2013

A first day cover and postage stamp issued on the 70th anniversary of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising.

Synagogue in Grajewo

Synagogue Grajewo Poland

The synagogue in Grajewo, Poland, on a picture postcard mailed in 1916. Click on image to enlarge.

An old photographic postcard of Rudzka Street (now Wojska Polskiego) in Grajewo. The synagogue is on the right. Like many other Jewish centres Grajewo’s synagogue (and several Jewish homes) was partly destroyed in the first few days of the Second World War. The building was however rebuilt and today serves as the house of culture and cinema for the town.

Grajewo is a town in north-eastern Poland with a population of just over 23,000. It is situated in the Podlaskie Voivodeship.

synagog Grajewo

The Synagogue in Kattowitz / Katowice

Synagogue Katowice Kattowitz

Click on the above image of the Great Synangogue to enlarge picture to view more detail. This postcard is from 1911.

The Great Synagogue was the largest synagogue in Katowice (Kattowitz). It was built in 1900 and designed by Ignatz Gruenfeld. The synagogue was set on fire and destroyed on the 4th September 1939.

On the spot where this building once stood there is now an area named Synagogue Square with a monument to the Jewish inhabitants of Katowice who perished during the Second World War.

Katowice is a city in Upper Silesia in the south of Poland, on the Klodnica and Rawa rivers (tributaries of the Oder and the Vistula respectively).

See also: Information on and old pre-war images of Kattowitz / Katowice.

A Synagogue in Lodz

Lodz Synagogue Poland

An old picture postcard of the Old Town in Lodz with market and synagogue prominent. Posted 1916.

This synagogue on ulica Wolborska was designed by architect Jan Karol Mertsching in 1860 and work completed by 1863. It replaced an older wooden synagogue on the same street. The whole synagogue, with all its interior fixtures and Torah scrolls, was destroyed by fire during the night of 15th – 16th November 1939. One wall that still stood after the fire was shot to pieces by gunfire in April 1940. The site is now taken up by a block of flats (apartments).

The Synagogue in Warsaw

Warsaw synagogue

An old picture postcard of the Synagogue in Warsaw, c.1917.

The Great Synagogue on Tlomackie Street in Warsaw, Poland, as it looked in 1917. Click on image to enlarge.

Great Synagogue of Warsaw was one of the finest buildings built in Poland in the 19th century and at the time of its opening was the largest synagogue in the world.

The Synagogue was built by the Warsaw’s Jewish community between 1875 and 1878 and was blown-up after the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising on 16th May 1943 by the SS. A skyscraper built in the 1980s now stands on the site.

Great Synagogue

Pictures of the Great Synagogue after its destruction in 1943 by SS-Gruppenführer Jürgen Stroop acting on the orders of Himmler and Hitler.

Interesting fact: Warsaw once had a Jewish population equal to the number of Jews living in all of France.

Bielsko-Biala Synagogue

Bielsko-Biała poland

A photograph of the synagogue in Bielsko (Bielitz), Poland, c.1900.

In 1910 Bialsko was home to almost 4,000 Jews. Around 16% of the town’s population. In the summer of 1941 a Jewish ghetto was established in Bielsko. It was dissolved in June 1942 during when all the Jewish inhabitants of the ghetto were deported to the Auschwitz-Birkenau death camp where most perished.

Bielsko-Biala is a city in southern Poland in the Silesian Province. It is located 60 kms south of Katowice, 69 kms south-west of Krakow. The town was for much of its history two separate towns located on opposite banks of the Biała River (white river). In 1951 Bialsko was joined with Biała Krakowska to form the new town of Bielsko-Biała. The western part of the combined town of today is former Bielsko (Bielitz).

Don’t miss our page on 1970s Bialsko-Biala.