The synagogue in Schneidemuehl, now, Piła, Wielkpolskie, Poland, c.1905. It was destroyed by fire during the Nazi pogrom of 9th/10th November 1938.
Three old images from our archive of now lost Synagogues in present-day Poland. All three were once in areas, which were part of Germany until 1945. All three were destroyed by the Nazis during the pogroms of November 1938.
The synagog in Gruenberg, Silesia, now, Zielona Gora, Lubuskie, Poland, c.1905. This Synagogue was burnt down on Crystal Night, the 10th November, 1938.
Information on and images of former synagogues in present-day Poland:
- A Synagogue in Bialsko-Biala.
- A Synagogue in Grajewo.
- A Synagogue in Katowice.
- The Old Synagogue in Krakow.
- The ‘New’ Synagogue in Poznan (Posen) in Greater Poland.
- The Synagogue in Wolsztyn.
- A Synagogue in Lodz.
- A Synagogue in Warsaw.
- The conversion of the Synagogue in Miedzryzecz.
An early 1900s image of the synagogue in Koeslin, Pommern, now, Koszalin, Poland. It was built to the ground on Kristallnacht in November 1938.
Related content on Polish Poland:
- A little-known and relatively well preserved Jewish cemetery in Poland.
A photograph of a male Jew in Lublin
A scan of an original photograph taken by a German official in occupied Lublin, Poland, in early 1943.
Today’s random image from our picture archive – A Jew wearing an armband in Lublin in 1943.
At the start of World War Two, more than 40,000 or one-third of the population of Lublin were Jewish. Less than 300 survived the holocaust.
A photograph of a flower seller on the street in Lublin, Poland. c.1940.
Come back again to see more of ‘Poland: Past and Present’ or use the search box to the right to view current content on our website about all things Polish and Poland. Online since 2004!
A photograph of shops, churches and streets in the centre of Lublin, Poland, c.1940.
Related content: images of Lublin during the Communist period.
Three photographs of a little-known Jewish cemetery in Lubuskie, western Poland.
This somewhat neglected Jewish cemetery is located high on a hill overlooking the small town of Skwierzyna in the west of Poland. It contains more than two hundred graves with the earliest we could identify dating back to 1747. Most headstones are made of Sandstone. Many have unfortunately suffered damage since the cemetery went out of use before the Second World War.
Although, now very much a part of Poland this location was part of Germany until 1945 and the town named Schwerin an der Warthe.
Related content: more about Skwierzyna.
An image taken from a glass negative of a very busy market square in Warsaw at the end of the 19th century.
A low resolution scan of a newly acquired glass negative of Jews and Poles trading and shopping at a very busy market in Warsaw, c.1895.
Come back soon to see more of Poland, past and present!
A picture postcard posted from Krakow to Dresden in 1907.
A picture postcard of a group of Jews in Krakow at the beginning of the 20th century.
Click on image above to view the picture in a larger size. This is an absolutely splendid image.
The synagogue in Bielitz Biala (Bielsko-Biała), Poland, c.1910.
Selected related content on Polish Poland:
The synagogue in Bielsko-Biala.
The synagogue in Lodz.
The synagogue in Warsaw.
The public library in Plock, Poland, c.1970.
Płock (Yiddish: Plotzk) is a city on the Vistula river, in central Poland. Its population is currently around 130,000. The Nazis established a Jewish ghetto in Płock in 1940 and from a population of more than 10,000 only 300 Jews survived the war.
Plac Gabriela Narutowicza, Plock, Poland, c.1971.
Another photograph of pl. Narutowicza Gabriela in Płock, c.1971.
Related content on Polish Poland: Old early 20th century images of Płock.
The Polish Post Office have just issued a special First Day Cover commemorating the 70th anniversary of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising. A scan of the cover can be seen at the bottom of this page along with a similar special envelope and stamp produced to remember the 20th anniversary on 1963.
A special cover and stamp issued to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising.
The Warsaw Ghetto Uprising was an act of Jewish resistance that arose within the Warsaw Ghetto in German-occupied Poland in April 1943. The uprising opposed Nazi Germany’s final efforts to transport the remaining population of the Jewish Ghetto to the concentration camp in Treblinka. The uprising ended when despite fierce fighting the ghetto was finally liquidated on the 16th May. This was the largest single revolt by Jews during World War Two.
A first day cover and postage stamp issued on the 70th anniversary of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising.
The synagogue in Grajewo, Poland, on a picture postcard mailed in 1916. Click on image to enlarge.
An old photographic postcard of Rudzka Street (now Wojska Polskiego) in Grajewo. The synagogue is on the right. Like many other Jewish centres Grajewo’s synagogue (and several Jewish homes) was partly destroyed in the first few days of the Second World War. The building was however rebuilt and today serves as the house of culture and cinema for the town.
Grajewo is a town in north-eastern Poland with a population of just over 23,000. It is situated in the Podlaskie Voivodeship.
Click on the above image of the Great Synangogue to enlarge picture to view more detail. This postcard is from 1911.
The Great Synagogue was the largest synagogue in Katowice (Kattowitz). It was built in 1900 and designed by Ignatz Gruenfeld. The synagogue was set on fire and destroyed on the 4th September 1939.
On the spot where this building once stood there is now an area named Synagogue Square with a monument to the Jewish inhabitants of Katowice who perished during the Second World War.
Katowice is a city in Upper Silesia in the south of Poland, on the Klodnica and Rawa rivers (tributaries of the Oder and the Vistula respectively).
See also: Information on and old pre-war images of Kattowitz / Katowice.
An old picture postcard of the Old Town in Lodz with market and synagogue prominent. Posted 1916.
This synagogue on ulica Wolborska was designed by architect Jan Karol Mertsching in 1860 and work completed by 1863. It replaced an older wooden synagogue on the same street. The whole synagogue, with all its interior fixtures and Torah scrolls, was destroyed by fire during the night of 15th – 16th November 1939. One wall that still stood after the fire was shot to pieces by gunfire in April 1940. The site is now taken up by a block of flats (apartments).