Barlinek in Zachodniopomorskie (Western Pomerania)
The fountain in the middle of the Market Square in Barlinek in 1965,.
A selection of images of the small town of Barlinek in the north-west of Poland.
Another mid 1960s photograph of the main square in Barlinek, Poland.
Berlinchen in to Barlinek:
- Berlinchen, which until 1945 had been part of the German province of East Brandenburg / Neumark was renamed Barlinek at the end of the Second World War.
- On the 31st January 1945 Berlinchen / Barlinek was captured by Soviet Red Army troops of the XII Armoured Corps and as a result of the battle and deliberate arson more than half of the buildings were destroyed.
- The German inhabitants of the town were expelled after the war and replaced by Poles who, in many cases, had themselves been expelled from what is now Ukraine.
Holidaymakers having fun in and on the lake in Barlinek, c.1974.
Some other things you may not know about Barlinek:
- The World Champion chess player Emanuel Lasker was born in Berlinchen / Barlinek in 1868.
- A railway line once connected Barlinek with Myslibórz and Choszczno. It is now closed.
- Barlinek is famous locally and throughout Poland for the wood panel flooring factory located there.
- Barlinek promotes itself as the European Capital of Nordic Walking!
- Barlinek has a population of around 14,000.
- The Omega class of the Polish Sailing Championships take place in Barlinek each year.
A scan of a picture postcard sent to us by a friend who had a vacation in Barlinek in 1999.
Related content on Polish Poland: old pre-war images of Berlinchen / Barlinek.
Here are digital scans of three paintings by Ernst Henseler – a German artist who was born and brought up in Landsberg an der Warthe, now Gorzow Wielkopolskie in the west of Poland. He was active at the end of the 19th century and as many of his paintings focus on country life in what is now the Polish province of Lubuskie, as well as being of artistic merit, they are useful in the study of social history.
Ernst Henseler was born in the Wepritz (Wieprzyce) district of Landsberg an der Warthe (Gorzów) in former East Brandenburg. He studied at the Berlin School of Arts in 1870 and from 1871 to 1877 at the Weimar art school.
From 1881 he taught at the educational department of the Museum of Decorative Arts in Berlin, and from 1888 onward he held a professorship at the Technical University of Berlin.
With annual summer visits throughout his long life to his birthplace in Landsberg he drew on the things he saw to paint mainly scenes of rural life. He died in 1940 at the age of 88.
Related: a list of great Polish artists (painters).
Two images of Jahnsfelde (Janczewo) on an old picture postcard mailed in 1900 to Koenigswalde Nm (Lubniewice).
Three old pictures of Jahnsfelde, near Landsberg, East Brandenburg, since 1945, Janczewo, near Gorzow, Lubuskie, Poland.
An old picture postcard of the Florenhein guesthouse in Jahnsfelde, near Landsberg an der Warthe, c.1906.
Janczewo currently has a population of just over 1,200. The village is part of Santok district.
Three photographs of the village of Jahnsfelde Neumark, now Janczewo, Poland. This postcard dates back to 1911.
A selection of old images of pre-war Stolzenberg in what was East Brandenburg / Neumark until the end of World War Two. In 1945 Stolzenberg became part of Poland and was renamed Rozanki.
Różanki is a village with a population of approximately 1,100 and is located around 9 km north-east of the large city of Gorzów Wielkopolski, Lubuskie Voivodeship, in the west of Poland.
Related content on Polish Poland: Old photographs of nearby Kladow / Klodawa.
Three picture postcards of Landsberg an der Warthe in former East Brandenburg. Since the end of World War Two, Landsberg has been called Gorzów Wielkopolski and is part of the Polish province of Lubuskie.
Click to enlarge and see more detail in any image.
Related pages on Polish Poland:
1960s Gorzów in old pictures.
Vintage photographs of Gorzow Wielkopolski as it looked in the 1970s.
Some photos showing how part of Gorzow looked on a warm day in August 2012.
An old photograph of the main street through Wepritz (Wieprzyce), c.1902.
Three old images of the village of Wieprzyce (Wepritz) on the edge of the city of Gorzów (Landsberg an der Warthe). At the time these photographs were taken Wieprzyce was part of East Brandenburg / Neumark, Germany, but is now part of the Polish province of Lubuskie.
A multiview picture postcard showing three different views of Wieprzyce (Wepritz),c.1922.
An old image of Karl Schulze’s shop in Wieprzyce / Wepritz, Gorzów Wlkp./ Landsberg Warthe, c.1930.
Related: more old images of Landsberg an der Warthe / Gorzów.
Three pictures of pre-war Zantoch, near Landsberg Warthe, since 1945, Santok, near Gorzów, Lubuskie, Poland.
An early 1900s multiview picture postcard of Zantoch in the former German province of East Brandenburg.
A ship on the River Warthe (Warta) in Zantoch (Santok), c.1905.
Three different views of Zantoch (Santok), c.1907.
See and read about the archaeological excavation, which took place in Zantoch (Santok) in 1934.
Related content on Polish Poland: Information on and pictures of present-day Santok.
A selection of old images of Kłodawa (Kladow), near Gorzów, Lubuskie, western Poland.
Kłodawa is a village in Lubuskie Voivodeship in the west of Poland. It is located approximately seven kilometres north of the large city of Gorzów Wielkopolski and an increasingly popular commuter location. Klodawa has a population of 1,100, and until 1945 was named Cladow / Kladow and part of East Brandenburg in Germany.
Related content on Polish Poland: the nearby village of Zanzthal / Zdroisko.
Blumberger Bruch, Landsberg Warthe, Neumark (Mościczki, Gorzow, Lubuskie, Poland)
An antique picture postcard of the Guesthouse zum Wiesengrund in Blumberger Bruch, near Landsberg Warthe in the 1920s. At the end of World War Two the village changed its name to Mościczki and is part of the Polish province of Lubuskie.
Click on image to see a larger version of the picture.