Tag Archives: Leszno

Lissa / Leszno

Lissa Posen

A selection of images of pre-1945 Lissa / Leszno, Poland. Click on any image to enlarge.

lissa leszno

Lissa into Leszno into Lissa into Leszno

From 1793 the town was part of the Posen province of Prussia and named Lissa. Following the end of the First World War and the Treaty of Versailles the town became part of Poland and renamed Leszno. In the 1939 the town was annexed by Germany and incorporated into the Reichsgau Wartheland, and once again named Lissa. After the defeat of Germany in the Second World War the town returned to Poland and the name Leszno used once again.

Lissa Wartheland

Three things you might not know about Leszno:

  • In the census of 1905, 79% of the population of Lissa stated that they were German.
  • In a similar survey in 1939, 89% of the population of Leszno stated that they were Polish.
  • Leszno has one of the largest and best preserved synagogues in the Wielkopolska Region of Poland.

lissa adolf hitler strasse

Related content on Polish Poland: Images of Leszno in the 1970s.

1970s Leszno

Three old images of Leszno, Wielkopolskie, Poland, in the early 1970s.

Leszno Poland

A photograph of apartment blocks and shops in the town of Leszno, Wielkopolski, Poland, c.1971.

Leszno Polen

Three photographs of 1970s Leszno, Poland, on a multiview postcard. Town hall, market square, and blocks of flats.

Leszno was called Lissa when the town was part of Prussia, Germany, between the late 18th century and until it became part of Poland following on from the Treaty of Versailles in 1919 /1920.

Leszno Wielkopolskie

A photograph of communist-era buildings and gardens in Leszno, Poland, c.1974.

Leszno is a town with a population of just under 63,000 inhabitants located in the south of the Wielkopolskie (Greater Poland) Voivodeship of Poland.

Related content on Polish Poland: A selection of images of pre-war Lissa / Leszno.