Tag Archives: Lodz

Soldiers in Lodz 1914

Soldiers 1914 Lodz

An old picture postcard of German soldiers marching through the streets of Lodz, Click picture to enlarge image,

A photograph of the ‘Mounting of the Guard’ at the outbreak of the First World War in 1914.

Interesting fact: In 1914 Lodz was one of the most densely populated industrial cities in the world.

A Synagogue in Lodz

Lodz Synagogue Poland

An old picture postcard of the Old Town in Lodz with market and synagogue prominent. Posted 1916.

This synagogue on ulica Wolborska was designed by architect Jan Karol Mertsching in 1860 and work completed by 1863. It replaced an older wooden synagogue on the same street. The whole synagogue, with all its interior fixtures and Torah scrolls, was destroyed by fire during the night of 15th – 16th November 1939. One wall that still stood after the fire was shot to pieces by gunfire in April 1940. The site is now taken up by a block of flats (apartments).

Poddebice

Poddębice lodz

The Jewish cemetery in Poddębice as it looked in 1917. Very little trace of it survives to the present-day.

Poddębice is a small but historically interesting town in the Lodz area of central Poland.

poddebice poddembice

The ‘Deutsche Haus’ in Poddebice during the German occupation. Note the Nazi eagle symbol on the wall.

Some things you may not know about Poddebice:
- In 1921 the census shows that more than 40% of the population of Poddebice were Jewish.
- After Germany invaded Poland in 1939, Poddebice was incorporated in to the Warthegau (Wartheland) and was renamed Poddembice and then Wandalenbrück. It reverted to its original name of Poddebice again in 1945.
- In 1940, Germany established a ghetto in Poddębice, in which they imprisoned approximately 1,500 Jews. In April 1942 it was closed and all of its inmates were sent to the Nazi extermination camp in Chelmno.
- The current population of Poddebice is around 7,700.

poddebice polen

The early 17th century St. Catherine’s Church in the centre of Poddębice, Poland, c.1974.

Also of possible interest:
- The River Ner flows through Poddębice.
- A rather fine example of a Lutheran Protestant Church dating back to 1871 exists in Poddibice. It is not now, however, used for any religious purpose.
- The building which was once the synagogue for the Jews of Poddębice and surrounding villages exists to the present-day. It is currently used by a local business as an office.

poddebice poland

A photograph of the 17th century manor house (palac) in Poddebice, c.1989.

map of poddebice

A map showing the area round the city of Lodz with the town of Poddebice marked.

Related content on Polish Poland:
- Information on and archive photographs of the nearby towns of Kolo, Ozorkow, Sieradz and Turek.

Schwarzau / Błaszki

Błaszki

A Second World War photograph of Jews gathered at a water pump in the centre of the small town of Błaszki, Poland. After the invasion of Poland by Germany, Błaszki was renamed Schwarzau and became part of the Wartheland / Warthegau.

In 1939 the population of Błaszki was just over 5700, of which almost 50% were Jews. There was a synagogue and two Jewish cemeteries. Neither the Jewish cemeteries, synagogue, or Jewish population survived the war.

Related content on Polish Poland: information on and old images of the nearby town of Sieradz.

Pre-war Lodz

Three pictures of Lodz as it looked before the Second World War. Click to enlarge images.

Lodz Polska

An old picture postcard of a tram and people in Piotrkowska street in Lodz, Poland, c.1910.

Lodz Polen

A photographic postcard of Górny Rynek in Łódź in around 1920. Click on image to enlarge and see more detail.

Lodz Poland

An old picture postcard of a Hay cart and tram in the Gorny area of Lodz, Poland, in the early 1900s.

Related content on Polish Poland: Three pictures of Lodz / Litzmannstadt under German occupation 1939 – 1945.

Sieradz

Sieradz Poland

An old picture postcard of Sieradz sent in 1916 to Breslau (Wroclaw). Click image to see a larger version.

Sieradz is a town on the Warta river in central Poland with a population of around 40,000.

sieradz poland

An old image of soldiers outside the church in Sieradz, near Lodz, Poland, c.1917.

sieradz polen

A personal photograph of German soldiers in Sieradz, Polen, c.1943. Note the interesting signposts.

sieradz lodz

A picture postcard from Sieradz, near Lodz, c.1944. Sieradz was known as Sieradsch between 1939 and 1945.

sieradz prl

A promotional photograph of the Rynek area of Sieradz during the PRL (Communist) era, c.1970.

Related content on Polish Poland:
- Old images of the nearby town of Warthbruecken / Koło.
- Archive images and information on Poddebice.

Litzmannstadt / Lodz

Three photographs of Litzmannstadt (Lodz), Poland, during the German occupation of the town.

Litzmannstadt sdolf hitler strasse

A photograph of Adolf Hitler Strasse, Litzmannstadt (Lodz) during the Second World War.

Litzmannstadt Lodz

Another view of Adolf Hitler Street in Litzmannstadt / Lodz, this with Nazi swastika flags flying.

Litzmannstadt Warthe gau

An old picture postcard featuring a photograph taken during the German occupation of Lodz.

In September 1939, Germany occupied and annexed the Polish city of Łódź to the Warthegau region of Germany and renamed the city Litzmannstadt. Only when the Soviet army liberated the city on January 19, 1945 did it once more became known as Lodz.

Related webpage: A selection of rare images of Pre-war Lodz.

Kutno

kutno

The town hall in the centre of Kutno, in the Łódź Voivodeship , c.1960.

Three images of the central Rynek (Market Square) area of the town of Kutno in central Poland. All three photographs were taken during the communist PRL era.

kutno

Another view of the town hall and some of the shops in Kutno, c.1967.

Some things you may not know about Kutno:
- Kutno is located at almost the exact geographic centre of Poland.
- Kutno is perhaps the busiest railway junctions in Poland.
- The population of Kutno is currently around 47,000.

Kutno Poland

A photograph of the centre of Kutno, c.1971.

Related content on Polish Poland: old images of the nearby city of Lodz.

Ozorków

ozorkow

The Protestant / Evangelist Church in Ozorkow, in around 1910. The church itself was built in 1842.

This week’s featured town in Poland is the small town of Ozorków in the Lodz province of central Poland.

ozorkow osorkow

Schlösser’s manor House (Palac) in Ozorkow / Osorkow, c.1914.

Random information connected with Ozorków:
- Ozorkow was once an important centre for textiles. Factories spinning wool and cotton were established in the town by the Schlösser family as early as the 1820s.
- Ozorków was a fairly cosmopolitan town until the Second World War with a mix of people of Polish, Jewish and German heritage living in the town.
- During the German occupation Ozorków was renamed Brunnstadt and became part of the German Warthegau (Wartheland).
- Around 6,000 of Ozorkow’s Jews were exterminated by the Nazis.

ozorkow lodz

People cleaning outside the railway station in Ozorkow, near Lodz, c.1939.

Other trivia about Ozorkow:
= The world-class chess player Samuel Reshevsky (Rzeszewski) was born in Ozorków in 1911.
- Ozorków is located approximately 20 km north of Lodz and 28 kms east of Poddębice.
- Ozorkow has the longest tram line in Poland. It connects the town with Lodz. It is the second longest tram system in the world!
- Ozorków has a current population of around 19,000.

ozorkow pl

The central square area and church in Ozorkow, Poland, c.1969.

Related content on Polish Poland:
- The nearby towns of Poddębice and Turek.
- Archive images and information on Lodz.