Children and swans on the Postomia (Postum) river in Sulecin (Zielenzig), c.1905.
The Postomia (Postum) is a river of around 70 kms in length in the western province of Lubuskie in Poland. The river begins in Lake Postomsko (Bürger See) and continues through places like Wedrzyn, Ostrow, Sulecin, Krzeszyce, Lemierzyce, and the Warta Mouth National Park near Slonsk.
The river Postomia (Postum) in Krzeszyce (Kriescht Neumark), c.1933.
During the Spring and Summer months kayaks and the occasional canoe can be seen on the River Postomia. The most commonly paddled and probably easiest section being between Lemierzyce and Slonsk. This route of approximately 12 kms takes around four hours depending on the number of obstacles encountered on the way. These obstacles are fallen trees brought down by the many beavers to be found in this part of the country. As well as mammals such as beavers and wild boar, bird-watchers will delight in the storks, herons, cormorants, and kingfishers that can frequently be seen ‘fishing’ along pretty much the entire route of the River Postomia to the River Warta.
Other rivers in the area include the River Obra, River Warta and River Odra (Oder).
Our children and their friend lighting votive candles in the Church Our Lady of Rokitno in the west of Poland.
This afternoon we paid a visit to the simply wonderful mid 18th century Church and Minor Basilica in the village of Rokitno, in the Przytoczna / Skwierzyna area of Lubuskie, Poland. During the visit we lit votive candles and said silent, individual prayers for either individuals or specific issues. These prayer candles continued to burn after we left the church. The burning flame symbolising the ongoing nature of the prayer. This is a commonplace activity in Catholic churches throughout Poland. In every church we have visited a small charge is made to cover the cost of the candles. In this case the recommended donation is one zloty.
Related content on Polish Poland:
- All Souls’ Day / All Saints’ Day.
A tourist information board for the Miedzyrzecz area in Kursko.
Kursko (former: Kurzig) is a small village with a population of less than 300. It is located in the Miedzyrzecz area of the province of Lubuskie, Poland.
The recently restored nineteenth century neo-classical manor house in Kursko.
Did you know?
- A large lake of over 70 hectares in sizes can be seen in Kursko.
- The church in Kursko was built in 1938. It was built to replace an early eighteenth century church, which was destroyed at the end of World War Two.
Post boxes where mail is left for several of the houses in Kursko.
- Ruins that formed part of the impressive Miedzyrzecki Fortified Region (ostwall) dating back to 1934-1945 can be seen in and around Kursko. This part of the pre-war German fortification system, known as Schill, consists of several bunkers, a swingbridge over a canal, a machine gun position and a railway bridge complete with inscriptions including names and dates in German from the war years.
‘Osada Kursko’ – the centre of thirteenth century settlement in Kursko.
Related content: Information on and photographs of the nearby village of Chycina (former: Weissensee).
The main street through Krzeszyce / Kriescht, in what was then East Brandenburg, c.1911.
Here we present a selection of images from our picture archive of the small town of Kriescht (until 1945: Kriescht) in the province of Lubuskie in the far west of Poland.
The water mill (wassermuehle) on the river Postum in Krzeszyce / Kriescht, c.1914.
The church and war memorial (denkmal) in Krzeszyce / Kriescht NM, c.1930.
An elevated view of the main road to Skwierzyna / Schwerin in Krzeszyce / Kriescht (Neumark), c.1938.
Three things you may not know about Krzeszyce:
- Prior to the end of World War II Krzeszyce was called Kriescht and part of Germany.
- Krzeszyce is part of the Sulecin powiat (county) and as a result all cars have registration (number) plates beginning with the letters FSU.
- The present-day population of Krzeszyce is around 1,600.
A map showing Krzeszyce. Includes the nearby town of Sulecin and cities of Gorzów and Frankfurt Oder.
A pre-war postcard of Krzeszyce and the bridge over the River Warta (Warthe) in nearby Swierkocin (Fichtwerder).
Related content on Polish Poland:
- Old images of the villages of Świerkocin (former: Fichtwerder) and Nowiny Wielkie (Doellensradung).
- Information and photographs of the neighboring towns of Lubniewice and Sulecin.
An early photograph of Lipiany / Lippehne, c.1919.
Three old images of the small town of Lippehne (Lippehne) in the west of Poland.
Lippehne N.M (Lipiany), c.1939.
An elevated view of plac Wolności in Lipiany, c.1967.
Lipiany (Lippehne), Poland, c.1972.
Selected facts about Lipiany:
- Two 15th century Gothic gates and part of the town walls still exist.
- Lipiany boasts a fine late 19th century baroque-classicist town hall.
- Around 4,000 people live in Lipiany, which is located in the south-west of the province of Zachodniopomorskie.
- Lipiany was called Lippehne and part of the German province of Neumark until 1945.
Beuthen / Bytom Through Time
An old picture postcard of the Market Square in Beuthen / Bytom Odrzański, c.1905.
Three scans of old images of the town of Bytom Odrzański (former: Beuthen), in Lubuskie, western Poland.
An old postcard of the bridge over the River Oder / Odra in Beuthen / Bytom Odrzanski, c.1941,
Three things you may not know about Bytom Odrzański:
- the area used to be something of a centre for brown coal mining.
- the German writer Jochen Klepper was born there in 1903.
- the current population of Bytom Odrzański is around 4,300.
Another view of the Market Square (Rynek) area of Bytom Odrzanski, Lubuskie, Poland, c.1961.
- Old images of the larger city of Bytom in Upper Silesia, Poland.
- Information on and archive photographs of nearby Nowa Sól.
An old lithographic picture postcard of Dechsel / Deszczno, in what was then Brandenburg, c.1900.
Three old images of the village of Deszczno (former Dechsel), Lubuskie, western Poland.
The railway station in Dechsel / Deszczno on the line between Gorzow and Skwierzyna, c.1910.
Three things you may not know about Deszczno:
- Until 1945, Deszczno was called Dechsel and part of East Brandenburg / Neumark, Germany.
- The postcode for Deszczno is 66-446.
- The population of Deszczno is currently around 1,100.
An old picture postcard image of a guesthouse in Deszczno (then Dechsel Nm), near Gorzów (Landsberg) c.1914.
See also a selection of old images of the nearby city of Landsberg an der Warthe / Gorzów.
Here are digital scans of three paintings by Ernst Henseler – a German artist who was born and brought up in Landsberg an der Warthe, now Gorzow Wielkopolskie in the west of Poland. He was active at the end of the 19th century and as many of his paintings focus on country life in what is now the Polish province of Lubuskie, as well as being of artistic merit, they are useful in the study of social history.
Ernst Henseler was born in the Wepritz (Wieprzyce) district of Landsberg an der Warthe (Gorzów) in former East Brandenburg. He studied at the Berlin School of Arts in 1870 and from 1871 to 1877 at the Weimar art school.
From 1881 he taught at the educational department of the Museum of Decorative Arts in Berlin, and from 1888 onward he held a professorship at the Technical University of Berlin.
With annual summer visits throughout his long life to his birthplace in Landsberg he drew on the things he saw to paint mainly scenes of rural life. He died in 1940 at the age of 88.
Related: a list of great Polish artists (painters).
Browar Witnica is a small brewery producing a range of high quality beers in Lubuskie province in the far west of Poland. The brewing of beer on the same site in the centre of the small town of Witnica, near Gorzów, can be traced back to the mid 19th century when this part of present-day Poland was Germany.
Three Polish beers by Browar Witnica in Lubuskie. The open beer is their simply delicious honey beer.
More about Polish beer.
The central square area of Krosno Odrzańskie as seen from the air, c.1989.
Three images of the Polish town of Krosno Odrzańskie as it looked in the late 1980s.
An old image of the centre of the town of Krosno Odrzańskie, Poland, c.1989.
Prior to the end of World War two Krosno Odrzanskie was named Crossen Oder and part of Brandenburg, Germany.
An aerial photograph of Krosno Odrzańskie, c.1989.
Krosno Odrzańskie is located in the province of Lubuskie in western Poland.
- Old images of Crossen / Krosno during the war.
- More photographs of Krosno during the Communist period.