Three old pictures of the western city of Gorzów Wielkopolski in the communist 1980s.
The central Chrobrego and Sikorskiego area of Gorzów Wielkopolski, c.1982. Largely traffic-free compared to today!
Prior to the end of the Second World War, the city was called Landsberg an der Warthe; then after becoming part of Poland in 1945 renamed Kobylagóra; changed to Gorzów nad Wartą shortly afterwards; and then once again changed to the present-day name of Gorzów Wielkopolski in November 1946.
Late communist-era apartment blocks in the ‘Sloneczna’ part of Gorzów Wlkp., c.1982.
According to its most recent census the city of Gorzów had a population of just over 124,000. This places Gorzów Wlkp as the 27th largest city in Poland.
Four picture postcard images of Ziemia Gorzowska (Gorzow Land), c.1989. Gorzów, Lubniewice, Skwierzyna, Miedzyrzecz.
Random things you may not know about Gorzów:
- During the communist-era Gorzów was home to three major industrial plants – an Ursus tractor factory, the Silwana textile factory, and ZWCH Stilton producing polyamide fibres. The first two companies have closed in recent years and the latter is greatly reduced in size.
- Gorzow Wielkopolski is like Rome in that it is situated on seven hills!
- Gorzów has its own speedway stadium and team ‘KS Stal’ in the Polish ‘Extraliga’.
- There are five railway stations within the city – Gorzow, Karnin, Wieprzyce, Zamoście, and Zieleniec.
Related content on Polish Poland: