An animated late 1910s street-scene of Lwow, Galia, Poland. Click to enlarge image.
Three old picture postcards of Lwow (Lemberg), Galicia, Poland.
An old picture postcard of Plac Maryacki in Lwow, Poland in the early 1920s. Click image to enlarge.
Lwow (Lviv in Ukrainian / Lemberg in German) is a city in what is now western Ukraine and at one time the capital of Lwów Voivodeship during the Second Polish Republic. With the joint German–Soviet Invasion of Poland at the start of the Second World War, the city of Lwów and its province were annexed by the Soviet Union and became part of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic from 1939 to 1941. Between July 1941 and July 1944 Lwów was under German occupation, and was located in the General Government. In July 1944 it was captured by the Soviet Red Army. At the end of the war, Lwów became part of Ukraine, and many of the Poles living in Lwow relocated to the areas (Silesia, East Brandenburg, Pomerania) newly acquired from Germany under the terms of the Potsdam Agreement.
A photo of the Museum Przemyslowe in Lwow, Poland, c.1919. Click to enlarge picture.
Here are three pictures of pre-war Lwow, Poland. Click on any image to enlarge and see more detail.
A picture postcard of the market place area of Lwow, c.1921.
The theatre and square in Lwow / Lemberg in 1912.
A picture postcard of ulica Sykstuska, Lwow, Poland, c.1918.
Lwów (Lviv / Lemberg) was a city in Poland, until 1945, when it was renamed Lviv and became part of western Ukraine. It was once the capital of the historical region of Galicia. The population of Ukrainian Lviv is current around 729,000.
‘The Kresy’ – the parts of Poland lost after the Second World War are shaded in grey.
Kresy (literally translated as Borderlands) is the part of the Second Republic, which today lie in western Ukraine, western Belarus, and part of Lithuania. These were the parts of Poland lost following on from decisions made at the Yalta and Potsdam conferences in 1944 and 1945. Major cities lost to the Polish state included Lwow (Lviv), Wilno (Vilnius), Brzesc (Brest), Stanislawow (Stanislav), and Grodno (Hrodna).
The Polish city of Grodno, part of the Kresy, lost to Poland after the Second World War.
Most of the Polish population of the Kresy moved to the former German areas given to Poland in exchange for the Kresy areas annexed by the Soviet Union. Until fairly recently many of these Poles dreamt of one day moving back.
The Polish city of Lwow, since the end of World War Two part of the Soviet Union and then Ukraine.
Related content on Polish Poland: The Oder-Neisse border (dividing Poland from Germany).