Tag Archives: Miedzyrzecz

Kursko

kursko

A tourist information board for the Miedzyrzecz area in Kursko.

Kursko (former: Kurzig) is a small village with a population of less than 300. It is located in the Miedzyrzecz area of the province of Lubuskie, Poland.

Kursko manor house

The recently restored nineteenth century neo-classical manor house in Kursko.

Did you know?

- A large lake of over 70 hectares in sizes can be seen in Kursko.
- The church in Kursko was built in 1938. It was built to replace an early eighteenth century church, which was destroyed at the end of World War Two.

kursko poczta

Post boxes where mail is left for several of the houses in Kursko.

- Ruins that formed part of the impressive Miedzyrzecki Fortified Region (ostwall) dating back to 1934-1945 can be seen in and around Kursko. This part of the pre-war German fortification system, known as Schill, consists of several bunkers, a swingbridge over a canal, a machine gun position and a railway bridge complete with inscriptions including names and dates in German from the war years.

Kursko osada

‘Osada Kursko’ – the centre of thirteenth century settlement in Kursko.

Related content: Information on and photographs of the nearby village of Chycina (former: Weissensee).

Synagogue Conversion

A former Synagogue transformed in to a Chinese Shop

synagogue poland

Three photographs of what was the pre-war synagogue for the town of Meseritz (Miedzyrzecz) in Lubuskie, western Poland. It has recently been transformed into a Chinski Sklep (a shop selling all manner of cheap imports from China).

Synagogue miedzyrzecz

A closeup of the exterior of the former Synagogue, now the ‘Wielki Chinski Sklep’.

The synagogue in Miedzyrzecz was built between 1825 and 1827, on the site of an earlier synagogue, and served the Jewish population of the town. It went out of use as a place of worship around 1940 and was used as a storeroom until the end of the war. In 1945 the building was nationalized and used for a variety of uses before falling in to a state of disrepair. In the 1990s there was some extended discussion of the building being used as a Jewish museum but unfortunately this never materialised. It was sold to a private entrepreneur about ten years ago. Following which it was extensively renovated with the aim of using the space for office or retail purposes. It is now in use as a Chinese Shop selling everything from clothing to toys.

synagogue synagoge

The only visible sign that this was once a place of worship for the Jewish population of Meseritz / Miedzyrzecz.

See also: Pre-war images of the Synagogue in Meseritz / Miedzyrzecz.

Napoleon in Meseritz / Miedzyrzecz

meseritz napoleon haus

The French emperor, Napoleon Bonaparte, stopped off and stayed overnight in the town of Meseritz (now Miedzyrzecz) while travelling from Berlin to Posen (Poznan) and then on to Warsaw on 26th November 1806. He stayed at a house owned by a cloth merchant named Johann Jacob Volmer. The house in which he stayed was located close to the town hall in the market square and was long known as ‘Napoleon’s House’ (Napoleonhaus). Unfortunately, for reasons unknown the house was demolished after the Second World War.

meseritz miedzyrzecz napoleon

Legend has it that a failed assassination attempt on Napoleon took place while he was in the town!

Related content on Polish Poland: More old images of Meseritz (Miedzyrzecz).

1980s Miedzyrzecz

Three photographs of Miedzyrzecz (Meseritz) taken in the early 1980s. Click on image to enlarge.

Miedzyrzecz 1980

The town hall and St. Adalbert’s church in Miedzyrzecz, Lubuskie, Poland, c.1980.

Miedzyrzecz 1980

Five different photographs of Miedzyrzecz, Poland, on a multiview picture postcard posted to Gorzów in 1985.

Miedzyrzecz 1982

The central square area of Miedzyrzecz, Lebus, Poland, c.1982.

Międzyrzecz (Meseritz) is a town with just under 18,000 inhabitants in the province of Lubuskie in western Poland.

Railway Station in Meseritz / Miedzyrzecz

Two pictures of the railway station in pre-war Meseritz (Miedzyrzecz). Click to enlarge.

meseritz miedzyrzecz bahnhof

The railway station in Meseritz (Miedzyrzecz), former Posen / Brandenburg province, c.1905.

meseritz miedzyrzecz railway

An exterior pre-World War One picture of the exterior of the railway station in Meseritz (Miedzyrzecz), c.1910.

See also our page with more pictures of old Miedzyrzecz / Meseritz.

Miedzyrzecz

Six photographs taken on a walk around the town of Miedzyrzecz in the Lubuskie province of western Poland. These are chosen totally at random and don’t represent either the highlights or lowpoints of the town. Just a snapshot of our visit today. Come back soon for another peek at both Miedzyrzecz and Poland!

Miedzyrzecz town hall

The town hall and St Wojciech’s Church in the centre of Miedzyrzecz, Lubuskie, Poland.

Miedzyrzecz monument

Looking towards the River Obra and monument to the founding of Międzyrzecz / Meseritz, Poland.

Miedzyrzecz post office

The post office and much-used advertising pillar in Miedzyrzecz, Lebus, Poland.

Miedzyrzecz shop window

A tabby cat sitting in an ‘army surplus’ shop window in Miedzyrzecz, Lubuskie, Poland.

A row of shops with apartments above opposite the open-air market in Międzyrzecz, western Poland.

A row of shops with apartments above opposite the open-air market in Miedzyzecz, western Poland.

Miedzyrzecz diesel train

A diesel locomotive with a long freight train crossing a level crossing in Międzyrzecz, Polen.

Międzyrzecz (Meseritz) is a town in the province of Lubuskie (Lubusz) in western Poland. It is built at the confluence of the rivers Obra and Paklicą and has a population of around 18,000.

Related content on the Polish Poland website:

Old images of pre-war Miedzyrzecz / Meseritz.

Ostwall / East Wall / Regenwurmlager

underground bunkers poland

A section of the underground bunker system near Blesen / Bledzew built by the Nazis in the 1930s and early 1940s.

The East Wall (Ostwall / Regenwurmlager) is an extensive underground fortification bunker system constructed by Germany between 1930 and around 1943, about 120 kms east of Berlin. Although at that time very much part of Germany, the location has, since the end of the Second World War, been part of Poland. The Ostwall was a system of underground bunkers interconnected by tunnels and corridors with a total length over 100 km, which included almost fifty above-ground firing points. Some of the tunnels are more than 70 metres deep. Long lines of anti-tank ‘dragon’s teeth’ were built and the tunnel system had its own power plant, hospital, armaments factory, barracks, and underground electric railway.

Meseritz Dragons Teeth

A section of Dragon’s Teeth near Meseritz / Miedzyrzecz in the Polish province of Lubuskie.

In 1945 it was abandoned by the German troops retreating from the advancing Soviet Red Army with little resistance. Interesting sections can still be visited between the towns of Skwierzyna (Schwerin Warthe) and Międzyrzecz (Meseritz), and a museum and visitor centre offering guided tours of part of the bunker system has been established in Kalawa. Some of the tunnels have become a shelter for more than 30,000 bats, of ten different species.

meseritz regenwurmlager

Part of the Regenwurmlager camp near Meseritz (Miedzyrzecz), c.1937.

In the 1930s an associated military training camp (Truppenuebungsplatz) was established for the training of fortification troops and as a reserve storage and rest area near the village of Nipter (now Nietoperek) south-west of the Ostwall (Festungsfront Oder-Warthe-Bogen) defensive line.

truppenuebungsplatz meseritz

An entrance to the truppenuebungsplatz camp near Meseritz in former East Brandenburg. Since 1945, Miedzyrzecz, Lubuskie, Poland,

More pictures from our collection of images of pre-war Meseritz / Miedzyrzecz.

The River Obra in Meseritz

Meseritz Obra Miedzyrzecz

A stem locomotive crossing the railway bridge over the Obra River in Meseritz in the early years of the 20th century.

Three old picture postcards featuring the River Obra in Meseritz. Since 1945, Meseritz has been known as Miedzyrzecz and part of Poland.

Meseritz Obra bridge

An old postcard of the bridge over the River Obra in Meseritz as it looked in 1935.

meseritz obra

The River Obra in Meseritz (Miedzyrzecz) on a picture postcard posted to Berlin in 1903.

Related content on Polish Poland:

More information on the River Obra.

Synagogue

A Synagogue in Poland

synagoge polen

An old postcard showing a general view of Meseritz/ Miedzyrzecz, with Synagogue marked, c.1925.

Two old images of the Synagogue in the town of Meseritz in former East Brandenburg, now Miedzyrzecz, Lubuskie, Poland.

Synagogue meseritz

An interior view of the Synagogue in Meseritz / Miedzyrzecz, c.1910.

The Synagogue in Meseritz / Miedzyrzecz was last used by the Jewish community in 1940. And during the communist-era was became almost derelict. However, the building has in the past few years been converted for office or retail use and at least externally looks to now be in good shape. On our last visit it was vacant and available for rent.

Related content on Polish Poland: More old images of Meseritz / Miedzyrzecz.

Meseritz / Miedzyrzecz

Meseritz Miedzyrzecz

The town hall and protestant church in Meseritz around 1922

Three vintage picture postcards of the town of Meseritz in what was the East Brandenburg / Posen province of Germany.  The town became Polish after the Second World War and was renamed Miedzyrzecz. It is now part of the province of Lubuskie in the west of Poland.

Meseritz Miedzyrzecz

The Post Office in Meseritz, now Miedzyrzecz, in 1909.

meseritz miedzyrzecz

An old postcard of the Market Square in the center of Meseritz (Miedzyrzecz) in the early 1910s.

Related: Two pictures of the railway station in pre-war Meseritz / Miedzyrzecz.