Danzig / Gdansk
A selection of images featuring the war monument in Holzmarkt / Targ Drzewny / Market Square in Danzig / Gdansk. The photograph at the bottom was taken after the destruction in the fighting between German forces and the Soviet Red Army in early 1945.
The war monument in the centre of the square was dedicated to the soldiers of Danzig and the surrounding area who fought in the wars conducted by Prussia in the nineteenth century. The obelisk was 14 metres high and was built in 1904. It survived the war but due to its Germanic character was removed shortly after Danzig became Gdansk and part of Poland in 1945.
Since 1965 a statue of King Jan III Sobieski has stood in the spot once occupied by the German monument.
Related content on Polish Poland: more old images of Danzig / Gdansk.
Neustadt / Wejherowo Through Time
Part of a picture postcard dating back to 1899 of Neustadt / Wejherowo.
A selection of early images of Wejherowo (former Neustadt), Pomerania, Poland.
A scan of an old lithographic picture postcard of Neustadt / Wejherowo, c.1901.
The current population of Wejherowo is around 47,000.
A lovely old image of the water mill and mill pond in Wejherowo / Neustadt, Pommern, c.1903.
Related: more old images of Neustadt / Wejherowo, as it looked prior to 1945.
The Gryfice Narrow Gauge Railway (Nadmorska Kolej Wąskotorowa / Seaside Narrow Gauge Railway) is a 40 kilometre long narrow gauge railway which runs between Gryfice and along the Baltic Sea coast to Rewal, Niechorze and Pogorzelica in western Pomerania.
More about the Narrow Gauge Railways of Poland.
Trains run daily between the beginning of May until the end of September.
Offsite link to timetable and full details of the rather splendid Nadmorska Kolej Wąskotorowa.
Henkenhagen / Ustronie Morskie
An old multiview picture postcard of Ostseebad Henkenhagen / Ustronie Morskie, Pommern, c.1930.
Continuing in our long-running series of images of Old Poland here we publish three pre-war images of the village of Ustronie Morskie (former Henkenhagen), near Kołobrzeg, in Western Pomerania (Pommern / zachodniopomorskie).
The railway station in Ustronie Morskie (Ostseebad Henkenhagen), c.1939.
Three interesting facts about Ustronie Morskie:
- the name Ustronie Morskie translates as ‘quiet little place by the sea’.
- the oldest oak-tree in Poland, known as ‘Boleslaw’, can be found just outside the village.
- Ustronie Morskie has a population of around 1,800.
A postcard of the beach and sea in Henkenhagen / Ustronie Morski, Westpommern. This one posted to Stettin / Szczecin in 1933.
Three photographic postcards showing various locations in Stettin (Szczecin) before World War Two.
An old picture postcard of the river Oder (Odra) port area in Stettin (Szczecin) in around 1921. Click image to enlarge.
Stettin became an industrial city in the late 19th century and vastly increased in size and population, serving as a major port for Berlin. At the end of World War II Stettin’s status was in doubt, and the Soviet occupation authorities at first appointed officials from the city’s almost entirely German pre-war population. However, in July 1945, Polish authorities were permitted to take power. Stettin was renamed Szczecin and became part of Poland.
A photograph featuring Berliner Tor in Stettin, Pomerania, in the 1910s.
Following on from this Stettin, now called Szczecin, was demographically transformed from a German into a Polish city. The German population were expelled and Poles took their place. Most of Stettin’s settlers coming from deprived areas of Central Poland with a smaller number of Poles and Ukrainians from Polish areas annexed by the Soviet Union such as eastern Galicia.
The UFA Palast ‘Deutsches Familien Kaufhaus’ building in Stettin, c.1937.
Szczecin (Stettin) is located on the Oder River, south of the Szczecin Lagoon and the Bay of Pomerania. It is the capital city of the West Pomeranian Voivodeship of Poland. It is the Poland’s seventh-largest city and a major seaport in Poland. The population of Szczecin is currently more than 400,000.
See also our page about and images of ships and shipping in the river and port area of Stettin.
A scan of an old picture postcard of Treptow / Trzebiatów, Western Pomerania, Prussia, c.1900.
Three old images of pre-war Trzebiatów (Treptow an der Rega) in Western Pomerania / Zachodniopomorskie, Poland.
An old image of the main square area in Treptow an der Rega / Trzebiatów, Pommern, c.1930.
Three things you may not know about Trzebiatow:
- Until 1945 Trzebiatow was called Treptow an der Rega and part of Prussia, Germany.
- Cars registered in Trzebiatow all have number plates which start with the letters ZGY.
- There are presently around 10,000 people living in Trzebiatów
An elevated photographic view of Treptow / Trzebiatów, c.1941.
Related: Information on and photographs of nearby Gryfice / Greifenberg.
Neustadt Pomerania / Wejherowo Pomorskie
The central Market area (now plac Wejhera Jakuba) of Neustadt (now Wejherowo), Pomorskie, c.1920.
Three more images from our archive of Wejherowo (former Neustadt) in Pomorskie, Poland.
An old photograph of the railway station in Wejherowo / Neustadt, c.1922.
A photograph of Adolf Hitler Place in Neustadt, now Wejherowo, West Prussia, c.1939.
Related: very early late 19th century / early 20th century images of Neustadt / Wejherowo.
Three pre-1918 photographs of Gdynia, then called Gdingen, in Pomerania / West Prussia.
An old picture postcard of Gdingen (Gdynia), Pomerania. This postcard posted to Stettin in 1906.
Like many locations in present-day Poland, Gdingen / Gdynia, has a varied history in terms of names.
Up to the end of the First World War - Gdingen
The interwar period – 1919 to 1939 – Gdynia
1939 to 1945 – Gotenhafen
1945 to present day – Gdynia.
A picture postcard of a restaurant and guest house in Gdingen (Gdynia) in 1917.
See a selection of pictures of Old Gdynia (1919 – 1939).
Boats and the beach in Gdingen, West Prussia, c.1910.
See also pictures of inter-war Gdynia (1919 – 1939) and three photographs of Gdynia during its Gotenhafen stage (1939 – 1945).
Here we have a super scan of a 1905 map of Pomerania and part of West Prussia. At this time, all of what is shown on this map was Germany, most is now Poland.
An early 20th century large map of Pomerania and part of West Prussia. Click on map to enlarge image.
A scan of an old picture postcard featuring three different views of Bresin / Brzeźno Lęborskie, c.1918.
Here are a couple more random images from our picture archive. Both picture the small village of Brzezno Leborskie (former Bresin), in the county of Wejherowo (Neustadt) in Pomerania, northern Poland.
Three more photographs on an old postcard of Bresin / Brzeźno Lęborskie. Mailed in 1919.
Brzeźno Lęborskie is approximately five kilometres north-west of the larger village of Łęczyce (Lanz) and 27 kilometres west of the town of Wejherowo (Neustadt). Brzeźno’s population is currently around 750.
Related: old images of the nearby town of Wejherowo (former Neustadt).