Four different photographs of the Oflag P.O.W camp in Woldenberg NM, now Dobiegniew. Click image to enlarge.
A scan of a very rare postcard from the Oflag II C Prisoner of War (POW) camp in Woldenberg Neumark, Germany, since 1945, Dobiegniew, Lubuskie, Poland.
A stamp made by a Polish prisoner of war at Woldenberg Oflag. This one with the text ‘Happy Christmas’ in Polish.
Oflag II C Prisoner of War (POW) camp in Woldenberg was built to house Polish Army officers. It was a large complex consisting of brick and wooden buildings and at different times housed between 500 and 2,000 prisoners of war. Around the camp were eight watchtowers with light and heavy machine guns and searchlights. Different parts of the camp were also separated from one another by barbed wire fencing. There is a small museum on the site today, which is well worth a visit.
One of many different stamps produced by Polish army officers held at the Oflag IIC in Woldenberg NM.
See also our page with more pictures of pre-war Woldenberg / Dobiegniew.
Part of the STALAG POW camp in Sagan, now Zagan, as it looked in 1942.
Scans of three original photographs of life at the World War Two Stalag Prisoner of War camp in Sagan (Zagan). Sagan was then part of the Germany but at the end of the war became part of Germany and was renamed Zagan.
A theatre production put on by prisoners at the camp in Sagan (Zagan), c.1943.
Click on any picture to enlarge the image and see more detail.
Stalag Luft III was a Luftwaffe-run prisoner-of-war camp during World War II that housed captured air force servicemen. It was in the German province of Lower Silesia near the town of Sagan (now Żagań in Poland), 100 miles south-east of Berlin. The site was selected because of the sandy soil and therefore difficulty to escape from by tunneling.
The camp is probably best known for the famous prisoner escapes that took place. One of these escapes was depicted in the 1960s film The Great Escape starring Steve McQueen, James Garner and Richard Attenborough.
German soldiers and prisoners of war at a burial in the camp cemetery in 1942.