Tag Archives: Schlesien

Old Breslau (Wroclaw)

Wroclaw breslau 1898

An old litho picture postcard of Wroclaw (Breslau), 1898.

Our website contains many old images of the regional capital of Breslau / Wroclaw in Lower Silesia. On this page we feature a small selection of digital scans of the many hundreds of old picture postcards in our archive. These images date from between 1898 and 1905.

Breslau wroclaw 1899

The River Odra (Oder) in Wroclaw (Bleslau), 1898.

wroclaw breslau 1899

An old lithographic picture postcard featuring the city hall and cathedral in 1899.

breslau wroclaw railway station 1900

An old postcard of the main railway station in Wroclaw (Breslau) in 1900.

breslau wroclaw 1904

An old lithographic postard of a Wroclaw (Breslau) panorama, 1904.

brelau wroclaw 1905

Another picturepostcard view of the River Odra (Oder) in Wroclaw (Breslau), 1905.

Other images of Old Wroclaw:

- Breslau / Wroclaw: Through Time.
- Breslau / Wroclaw 1906 – 1914.
- Breslau / Wroclaw 1914 – 1918.
- Wroclaw in the 1960s.
- Communist era Wroclaw.

Wroclaw (Breslau) 1914-1918

breslau wroclaw 1914

An old picture postcard view of Wroclaw (Breslau), c.1914.

Three archive images of the city of Wroclaw (former: Breslau) during the First World War 1914 – 1918.

breslau wroclaw 1916

A fountain in Wroclaw (German: Breslau), c.1916.

breslau wroclaw 1917

General Hindenburg and four different views of Wroclaw (Breslau), c.1917.

Other images of old Wroclaw from our picture archive:
- Wroclaw (Breslau) Through Time.
- Wroclaw / Breslau between 1898 and 1905.
- Wroclaw (Breslau) 1905-1914.
- Wroclaw in the 1960s.
- Communist era Wroclaw.

Lagiewniki / Heidersdorf

Łagiewniki Heidersdorf schlesien

An old lithograph postcard showing the villa, station, post office and main street in Łagiewniki (former Heidersdorf), c.1899.

Łagiewniki (former: Heidersdorf) is a small town in Lower Silesia, Poland.

Łagiewniki Heidersdorf

The sugar factory, Catholic church and castle in Łagiewniki (former Heidersdorf) near Niemcza (Nimptsch), c.1914.

lagiewniki heidersdorf nimptsch

The main street through Lagiewniki (Heidersdorf), near Niemcza (Nimptsch), c.1929.

See more of old Lagiewniki / Heidersdorf.

Ullersdorf Liebenthal / Wojciechów

ullersdorf Liebenthal Wojciechów

The church and houses in the centre of Wojciechów (Ullersdorf Liebenthal) in Schlesien, c.1913.

Three digital scans of pre-war images of the village of Wojciechów (former: Ullersdorf Liebenthal) near Lubomierz (Liebenthal) in Lower Silesia, southwestern Poland.

Wojciechów ullersorf liebenthal

A panoramic view of Wojciechow together with photos of the war memorial and schools, c.1933.

Wojciechów ullersdor liebenthal

Photographs of shops, guesthouse, factory, and the mill in Wojciechów (Ullersdorf-Liebenthal), c.1935.

Wojciechów  map

A map showing the location of Wojciechów in relation to the nearby town of Lubomierz and within Poland.

Wroclaw (Breslau) 1918-1933

breslau wroclaw 1919

A photograph of a monument to Kaiser Wilhelm on horseback in Wroclaw in late 1918.

Another three images from our extensive picture archive of Wroclaw (former: Breslau). These three photographs date from 1918 to 1933.

breslau wroclaw 1925

Market stalls in the old Market Square (Rynek) in Wroclaw (Breslau), Lower Silesia, c.1925.

breslau wroclaw 1932

Shops and cyclists in the Market Square in Wroclaw (Breslau) in 1933.

Other pages featuring images of old Wroclaw:
- Wroclaw (Breslau) Through Time.
- Wroclaw / Breslau between 1898 and 1905.
- Wroclaw / Breslau 1906 – 1914.
- Breslau / Wroclaw 1914 – 1918.
- Wroclaw in the 1960s.
- Communist era Wroclaw.

Wroclaw (Breslau) 1933-1939

breslau wroclaw 1933

A German war memorial being unveiled in Wroclaw (Breslau) in 1933.

Four images of Wroclaw (former: Breslau) from our digital picture archive. These photographs date from 1933 to 1939.

breslau wroclaw 1937

An old photograph of the area near the Olympic Stadium in Wroclaw (Breslau) in late 1937.

wroclaw breslau hitler

Adolf Hitler inspecting troops at the airport in Wroclaw (Breslau) in 1937.

breslau wroclaw 1938

An event taking place in Wroclaw (Breslau) in 1938 or 1939.

See also: Wroclaw / Breslau Through Time.

Wroclaw (Breslau) 1939-1945

Wroclaw breslau 1939

Planes and Nazi German flags flying over the airport in Wroclaw (Breslau), Schlesien, in 1939.

Four more images from our picture archive of Wrocław (former: Breslau). These photographs were taken during the Second World War before the widespread destruction of the city in 1945.

wroclaw breslau 1940

Trams and traffic on Most Grunwaldzki (Kaiser Bridge) in Wroclaw (Breslau) in early 1940.

wroclaw breslau 1941

Trams and people in the centre of Wrocław (Breslau), Lower Silesia, c.1941.

wroclaw breslau 1943

Another photograph of central Wroclaw (Breslau), c.1943.

More old images of Wroclaw (Breslau):
- Wroclaw (Breslau) Through Time.

Oppeln / Opole

Three pictures of pre-war Oppeln, Upper Silesia, since 1945, Opole, Poland.

Oppeln Opole

The Ring in Oppeln (Opole), Silesia, on an old picture postcard mailed in 1913.

These photographs include loads of great period detail. Simply click on picture to enlarge.

Oppeln Opole Silesia

A photo of the same spot in Oppeln twenty years later.

Oppeln into Opole

At the end of the Second World War, Oppeln was transferred from Germany to Poland and renamed Opole. Unlike in other parts of Poland’s so-called Recovered Territories, the ethnic German population of  Opole and the surrounding region remained and were not forcibly expelled. Around a million Silesians who considered themselves Poles or were treated as such by the authorities due to their language and customs were allowed to stay after they were classified as Poles in a special verification process. This involved chiefly declaring Polish nationality and making an oath of allegiance to the Polish nation. In return they were allowed to stay.

In later years, notably the 1980s, however, many ethnic Germans left for West Germany, which offered better economic prospects than the communist Eastern Bloc.

Oppeln Opole

Opole Today

Opole is a city on the Oder River (Odra) and the capital of the Upper Silesia, in the south of Poland It’s current population is just under 125,000. In the last census only 2% of the inhabitants declared themselves as German.

Related content on Polish Poland:
- Images and information on the neighbouring town of Grodkow (Grottkau).

Liegnitz / Legnica

Three pre-war pictures of Liegnitz, Silesia, since 1945, Legnica, Poland.

Liegnitz Legnica Silesia

Glogauer Tor in Liegnitz, now Legnica, on a picture postcard, c.1905.

Liegnitz Legnica

A photograph of the ‘new’ City Hall in the centre of Liegnitz, Legnica, c.1935.

Liegnitz into Legnica

Census records show that Liegnitz’s population before the Second World War was 95% German. The other inhabitants of the city describing themselves as Wendish, German and Polish, Czech, and Polish. All this changed in 1945. After the defeat of Nazi Germany in World War II, Liegnitz and all of Silesia east of the Neisse was transferred to Poland following the Potsdam Conference in 1945. The German population was expelled between 1945 and 1947 and replaced with Poles and the town renamed Legnica.

Liegnitz Legnica

Fountains photographed in Liegnitz (Legnica), Schlesien, before the Second World War.

Legnica today

Legnica / Liegnitz is a city in the central part of Lower Silesia in the south west of Poland. Legnica has a population of just over 100,000 and is the third largest city in the voivodeship (after Wrocław and Wałbrzych) and 38th in Poland.

Waldenburg / Wałbrzych

walbrzych waldenberg schlesien

An old lithograph of a tram in Waldenberg i Schlesien (Wałbrzych), c.1900.

A selection of pre-war photographs of Waldenburg (Wałbrzych) in Silesia.

Waldenburg Schlesien Wałbrzych

A general view of Waldenburg (Wałbrzych), Silesia, c.1930.

Waldenburg Walbrzych

A photograph of the city hall in Waldenburg, since 1945 Walbrzych, as it looked in 1937.

Waldenburg into Walbrzych

After World War II, Waldenburg became part of the Polish state and renamed Walbrzych. As in all of post-war Poland most of the German population was expelled and Poles from central Poland and areas in pre-war Poland, which were no longer part of Poland. Walbrzych was, however, one of the few areas in Poland where a number of Germans were deemed ‘indispensable to the economy’ and forced to remain. Many of these ethnic Germans left for Germany in the 1980s and 1990s.

Waldenburg Walbrzych poland

A photograph of the Protestant School in Waldenburg, now Walbrzych, Silesia, c.1936.

Wałbrzych Waldenberg

A photograph of what was then Adolf Hitler Strasse in Waldenberg / Wałbrzych, c.1941.

Walbrzych today

Wałbrzych (Waldenburg) is a city in Lower Silesian Voivodeship in south-western Poland. It currently has a population of just over 120,000. Walbrzych is located approximately 43 miles south-west of the state capital Wroclaw (Breslau) and about 6 miles from the Czech border.

Wałbrzych poland

A photograph of ulica Słowackiego in Wałbrzych, Dolnoslaskie, Poland, c.1960.

Related webpage: Altwasser / Stary Zdrój in old pictures.