Tag Archives: Schwerin

Neudorf / Nowa Wieś

neudorf

An old pre-war multiview postcard of Nowa Wies (former: Neudorf). Posted in 1929 to Frankfurt an der Oder.

Here we present a selection of images from our archive and photographs taken on a recent wander around the village of Nowa Wieś (former Neudorf), near Skwierzyna (Schwerin) in Lubuskie, Poland. Look closely at the images and you will see some of the changes that have taken in Nowa Wies through time.

Neudorf Nowa Wies

Four 1930s photographs of Nowa Wies (Neudorf), near Skwierzyna (Schwerin an der Warthe) / Bledzew (Blesen).

Some things you may not know about Nowa Wieś:

- Nowa Wieś has a population of around 600 people.
- The local church is dedicated to St. Nicholas and dates back to the 1760s.
- An unrestored 19th century manor house (schloss / palac) can be seen in Nowa Wieś.
- Neudorf (the German pre-war name for the village) and Nowa Wieś mean the same in English – ‘New Village’

See also our page about nearby Bledzew.

Pictures of Skwierzyna in the 1970s

Here are three photographs of the small town of Skwierzyna, Lubuskie, Poland, as it looked in the 1970s. Click on any image to see a larger version of the same photograph.

skwierzyna lubusz poland

Another view of the town hall in Skwierzyna. This photograph taken in around 1973.

Skwierzyna 1970

An old picture postcard of three different locations in Skwierzyna, Poland, c.1977.

Skwierzyna lebus pl

A photo of the town hall in Skwierzyna, Poland, c.1971. Prior to 1945 the town was Schwerin an der Warthe.

Related content on Polish Poland:
Images of pre-war Schwerin an der Warthe.
A collection of images of 1960s Skwierzyna.
Related content: six pictures and a description of Skwierzyna today.

Schwerin / Skwierzyna

Schwerin Warthe markt

A photograph of various shops including a chemist, and a hotel, in Schwerin, c.1931.

Four old pre-war photographs of the Town Hall and Market Square area in the town of Schwerin (an der Warthe), since 1945, Skwierzyna, Lubuskie, Poland. Click on any image to enlarge and see more detail.

schwerin rathaus

Five cars and an advertising pillar combined with signpost outside the town hall in Schwerin / W (Skwierzyna), c.1931.

Schwerin church and town hall

A busy street scene of shops, the church, and the side of the town hall building in Schwerin Warthe, c.1933.

Schwerin an der warthe

A super photograph of the Deutsches Haus Hotel and pharmacy in Schwerin n der Warthe / Skwierzyna, c.1933.

Related content on Polish Poland:
Three more pre-war photographs of different streets in Schwerin an der Warthe.
Old images of the railway station in Schwerin / Skwierzyna.
Three old photographs of 1960s Skwierzyna, Poland.
Pictures of the town of Skwierzyna in the 1970s.
A selection of colour photographs of Skwierzyna as it looks today.

Prittisch / Przytoczna

Prittisch Przytoczna schwerin

Children gathered outside the Catholic Church in Przytoczna / Prittisch, c.1905.

A selection of old images from our collection of the village of Przytoczna (Prittisch), near Skwierzyna (Schwerin), Lubuskie, western Poland.

Prittisch Przytoczna lubuskie

Three different picture postcard views of Przytoczna / Prittisch, c.1912.

Some things you may not know about Przytoczna:
- Prior to 1945 Przytoczna was called Prittisch and part of East Brandenburg, Germany.
- The village has two very nice lakes – Przytoczno and Nadolnym.
- Przytoczna has its own Jehovah’s Witnesses (Kingdom Hall).
- In recent years a Polish version of the famous Spanish ‘Tomatina’ tomato festival has been held in Przytoczna. Przytoczna’s Holy Tomato ‘Święta Pomidora’ Battle takes place in August of each year and people from far and wide take part.

Prittisch Przytoczna

Another rather interesting picture postcard of Przytoczna / Prittisch, c.1930.

Przytoczna has a population of around 2,000. It is located around 12 kilometres east of Skwierzyna and 20 kilometres north-east of Międzyrzecz.

Prittisch Przytoczna skwierzyna

More postcard views of Przytoczna (Prittisch), near Skwierzyna (Schwerin). This posted from Prittisch in 1942.

Related content on Polish Poland: Old images of nearby Schwerin / Skwierzyna.

Schwerin an der Warthe

Schwerin Warthe Skwierzyna

Schwerin Warthe in Neumark, Germany, in the early 1920s. In 1945 it became Polish and renamed Skwierzyna.

Three pre-Second World War vintage postcards of Schwerin an der Warthe, in what was until 1945 located in the Posen province of Germany. It was renamed Skwierzyna at the end of the war when it became part of Poland.

Schwerin Warthe

A vintage postcard of Schwerin a/ W., now Skwierzyna, Lubuskie, Poland.

Adolf Hitler Schwerin

An old 1930s picture postcard of Adolf Hitler Strasse (Street) in Schwerin Warthe.

Skwierzyna

Six photographs taken on a walk around the town of Skwierzyna in the west of Poland.

Skwierzyna town hall

A view of the town hall in Skwierzyna. This was built in 1841 and designed by Friedrich August Stüler.

Skwierzyna (Schwerin an der Warthe) is a small town of approximately 10,000 inhabitants. It is located in the Lubuskie (Lubusz) province in western Poland. Skwierzyna is located at the confluence of the Obra and Warta rivers, which are popular with Polish canoeists and anglers. The town is about 18 km (11 miles) north of Międzyrzecz and 23 km (14 miles) south-east of the regional capital Gorzów. Skwierzyna is situated in a particularly green part of Poland. Extensive forests and numerous lakes can be found in the area.

Skwierzyna

Another look at the town hall and 1979s/1980s apartment blocks built on the location of houses destroyed in 1945.

Skwierzyna

The forestry department building complete with rather good carvings and information boards about local wildlife.

Skwierzyna’s GPS coordinates: 52.5991° N / 15.5063° E 52°35’56″ N / 15°30’22″ E

Skwierzyna

The Post Office and one of two churches in Skwierzyna, Lebus, Poland.

Skwieryna was called Schwerin an der Warthe and part of Germany until the occupation by the Red Army on 31st January 1945. At the end of World War II Skwierzyna and all the German land east of the Oder-Neisse line became part of the Republic of Poland. The German population was expelled and replaced by Poles from central Poland or who had left the territories annexed by the Soviet Union in what is now Ukraine and Lithuania.

Skwierzyna

The main pedestrianized shopping street in Skwierzyna, Lubuskie, Poland.

Skwierzyna is on the Polish rail network and trains using the line from Zbąszynek to Gorzow Wielkopolski stop at the station.

Skwierzyna

The combined theatre, cinema, and culture centre in Skwierzyna..

Related content on Polish Poland: