Tag Archives: Swidnica

Schweidnitz / Swidnica

Three old photographs of Schweidnitz, Lower Silesia, since 1945, Swidnica, Poland.

Schweidnitz Schlesien Swidnica

A picture postcard of the railway station in Schweidnitz / Swidnica, Schlesien, c.1933.

Schweidnitz / Swidnica

An old 1930s picture postcard in the centre of Schweidnitz / Swidnica. Click on image to enlarge picture.

Schweidnitz in to Swidnica

After the defeat of Nazi Germany in 1945, the town became part of Poland following the decisions made at the Potsdam Conference. The town was renamed Swidnica, and the German population who had not fled the advancing Soviet army were expelled to the now-smaller Germany. They were replaced with Poles, most of whom had been expelled themselves from former Polish areas annexed by the Soviet Union.

Schweidnitz Swidnica

The monument to Bismarck in Schweidnitz / Swidnica, Lower Silesia, c.1930. Click image to enlarge.

Swidnica today

Świdnica (Schweidnitz) is a town with a population of just under 60,000. It is located in the Lower Silesia (Dolnośląskie) province of south-western Poland.

Related content: old images of the railway station in Swidnica.

Świdnica Railway Station

Świdnica schweidnitz bahnhof

A steam locomotive and train at the railway station in Świdnica / Schweidnitz, Silesia (Dolnośląskie), c.1903.

Here we have a couple old images showing the railways station in Świdnica (former Schweidnitz), Poland.

swidnica schweidnitz railway station

A steam train passing through the railway station in Swidnica / Schweidnitz, Lower Silesia, c.1929.

Related content on Polish Poland: more old images of Swidnica / Schweidnitz.