An early image of the parish church in Wollstein / Wolsztyn, c.1909.
Several images of a parish church in a small town in the west of Poland through time.
Another photograph of ulica Koscielna and the church in Wollstein / Wolsztyn, c.1918.
The Parish Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary of the Immaculate Conception on Church Street in Wolsztyn (former: Wollstein) is of a late baroque design. I was built in the second half of the eighteenth century on the site of an earlier wooden church. The present church was renovated extensively in 1925 and again in 1948. Further work was done on the spire in 1977 and it was again remodeled in 1987.
A communist-era photograph of the same street and church in Wolsztyn, Poland, c.1978.
Wolsztyn is a small town with a population of around 13,500. It is part of the province of Wielkopolska, in the west of Poland. Until the recreation of Poland at the end of the First World War Wolsztyn was called Wollstein and located in the Prussian province of Posen.
Related content on Polish Poland:
- More old images of Wollstein / Wolsztyn.
- Images of the synagogue in Wolsztyn and its conversion in to a cinema after the war.
- Information on and photographs of the railway station and steam trains in Wolsztyn.
Three old photographs of Wollstein (Wolsztyn) in western Poland.
A picture postcard view of the small town of Wollstein in its German period.
A photograph of children and the church in the centre of Wollstein (Wolsztyn), Poland, c.1919.
A pre-1914 picture postcard of Wollstein (Wolsztyn) from across the lake. Click picture to enlarge image and see more great detail.
Wolsztyn (Wollstein) is a town about 75 kilometers southwest of Poznan in Poland. It has a population of about 13,500 and is the capital of the powiat Wolsztyński in the Greater Poland Voivodeship. Attractions include the lake, annual steam train parade, and mainline steam locomotive depot and turntable.
Related content on Polish Poland:
- Images of and information on the synagog in Wollstein / Wolsztyn.
- Photographs of the steam locomotive roundhouse and railway station in Wolsztyn.
An early 1900s image of the centre of Wolsztyn (Wollstein), The synagogue is on the right.
Some archive photographs of a synagogue in the small town of Wolsztyn (Wollstein) in the west of Poland.
Another photographic view of the Jewish synagogue in Wolsztyn, c.1916.
The synagogue in Wolsztyn was built in 1842 and extensively renovated in 1896. It served the diminishing Jewish population of the town until 1939 when it went completely out of use. During the war it suffered some damage and was converted in to a cinema when the war ended. It continued as the ‘Tatry’ cinema until the end of the communist period.
The former synagogue in Wolsztyn in Poland. After the war it was converted in to a cinema. This image from 1967.
In the late 1990s, the synagogue building was claimed by the Poznan Jewish community, who then sold it to a private investor, who planned to convert it in to a shopping centre. However, the building burnt down under mysterious circumstances at the end of last year (2009) and is no more.
There are some plans to rebuild some sort of commercial property on the site, perhaps incorporating a frontage in the style of the original synagog.
Related content on Polish Poland: old pre-war images of Wollstein / Wolsztyn.