This afternoon we travelled into the town of Sulecin in Lubuskie, Poland to do some shopping. Here are six photographs of places around Sulecin selected totally at random. They don’t represent either the positive or negative aspects of the town. Just a reflection of our visit today. Come back soon for another realistic look at both Sulecin and Poland!
The hospital in Sulecin, Lubuskie, Poland.
A children’s playground in Sulecin. Nothing very modern or high tech but great fun!
Shops and church in the centre of Sulecin, Lebus, Polen.
A advertising pillar, found all over Poland, and the church in Sulecin in the province of Lubuskie.
A close-up of the simply wonderful fountain in Sulecin, Lubuskie, Poland.
The WBK bank and Gothic church in Sulecin. The church of St. Nicholas here dates back to the late 13th century,
Sulecin related fact: Trains stop here on the Rzepin to Międzyrzecz railway line.
Villages and towns in Sulecin county (powiat): Chartów, Kołczyn, Krzeszyce, Lubniewice, Ownice, Rudnica, Słońsk, and Torzym.
Other content with a connection to Sulecin:
- Old pre-war images of Sulecin / Zielenzig.
- The River Postomia.
An old picture postcard featuring three different views of Meekow / Miechów, near Zielenzig / Sulęcin, c.1911.
Here we have three old picture postcards of the small village of Meekow / Miechów in present-day Poland. Miechów is located near the towns of Lubniewice and Sulęcin in the province of Lubuskie in the far west of Poland.
An old image of a guest house in Meekow, in what was East Brandenburg / Neumark, Germany. Mailed in 1912.
Miechów / Meekow neumark, on an old multiview postcard, c.1919.
Głuchowo / Woxfelde Through Time
An old lithographic postcard of Głuchowo (former Woxfelde) in what was then Neumark / East Brandenburg, c.1899.
A selection of pre-war images showing the tiny village of Głuchowo (Woxfelde), near Sulecin (Zielenzig), Lubuskie, Poland.
A garden in Głuchowo (Woxfelde), in what is now Lubuskie in western Poland, c.1919.
Głuchowo was called Woxfelde and part of the German province of East Brandenburg / Neumark until the end of the Second World War when it was renamed and became part of Poland. The current population of Głuchowo is less than two hundred.
A photograph of the main street through Woxfelde (Gluchowo), near Oststernberg, c.1933.
Related content: old pre-war images of the nearby city of Landsberg an der Warthe (Gorzów).
An old lithograph postcard of Zielenzig in the Neumark, Germany. Now Sulecin, Poland.
Three vintage postcards of Zielenzig in what was East Brandenburg / Neumark. Since 1945 Zielenzig has been called Sulecin and is part of the Polish province of Lubuskie in the west of Poland.
The centre of Zielenzig (Sulecin) in 1902.
Zielenzig into Sulecin
On the 2nd February 1945, Zielenzig was captured after heavy fighting by the troops of 1st Byelorussian Front of the Soviet Army. Little damage occurred in the actual fighting but the Soviet troops set fire to and destroyed most of the most impressive buildings in the following days. This resulted in the destruction of around half of the town. Along with the whole of this part of what was until the end of World War Two part of Germany, and as a result of decisions made at the Potsdam conference, Zielenzig became part of Poland and the town renamed Sulecin.
The town hall and centre of Zielenzig as seen from an aeroplane in the 1910s.
Sulęcin has a population of around 10,000 and is part of the province of Lubuskie in the west of Poland. A network of cycle paths are in place around the town and the region is heavily forested and has many lakes, which are well-used by anglers. The nearby town of Lubniewice is quite probably one of the most beautiful towns in the west of Poland.
Related page on Polish Poland: a summer walk around Sulecin as it looks today.