Three photographs of Warthbruecken (Kolo) under German occupation between 1939 and 1945.
Koło is a town situated in the Wielkopolskie (Greater Poland) Voivodship on the Warta River in central Poland with just under 23,000 inhabitants.
After the return of Poland’s sovereignty at the end of World War One, Koło was assigned to the province of Lodz, and a new railway line opened in 1921 from Kutno to Strzałkowo via Koło. At this time, Jews made up more than 50 percent of the total population of the town. Shortly after the invasion of Poland in September 1939, Jewish males over the age of 14 were rounded up and sent to forced labour, and the Jewish synagogue was set on fire.
In December 1940, the remaining Jews were rounded up in a ghetto, from where the Jews were deported to Chelmno concentration camp. Once there most were killed in and buried in mass graves. Koło remained a transfer point for Jews deported to Łódź, and Nazi officials, including Heinrich Himmler, visited the town.
Related content: Information on and old images of nearby the nearby town of Konin.