Woldenberg Neumark (Dobiegniew) through time! Three different pictures of German-era Woldenburg from 1899 through to 1942. Woldenberg was renamed Dobiegniew in 1945 when it became part of Poland.
Woldenberg in to Dobiegniew
Woldenburg was part of Germany until the end of the Second World War when around 85% of the town was destroyed in the fighting between the German and Soviet Red Army. After this the population who had not already fled westward were expelled and the town renamed Dobiegniew. The town was then repopulated by Polish settlers who had mostly lost their homes in the part of pre-war eastern Poland, which had become Soviet Ukraine. During the war the Oflag II-C Prisoner of War camp was located just outside the town.
Dobiegniew is a small town with a population of around 3,000 and is located in the Lubuskie province of western Poland. It’s located approximately 11 miles north-east of Strzelce Krajeńskie and 25 miles north-east of Gorzów Wielkopolski.