Three vintage postcards of Zielenzig in what was East Brandenburg / Neumark. Since 1945 Zielenzig has been called Sulecin and is part of the Polish province of Lubuskie in the west of Poland.
Zielenzig into Sulecin
On the 2nd February 1945, Zielenzig was captured after heavy fighting by the troops of 1st Byelorussian Front of the Soviet Army. Little damage occurred in the actual fighting but the Soviet troops set fire to and destroyed most of the most impressive buildings in the following days. This resulted in the destruction of around half of the town. Along with the whole of this part of what was until the end of World War Two part of Germany, and as a result of decisions made at the Potsdam conference, Zielenzig became part of Poland and the town renamed Sulecin.
Sulęcin has a population of around 10,000 and is part of the province of Lubuskie in the west of Poland. A network of cycle paths are in place around the town and the region is heavily forested and has many lakes, which are well-used by anglers. The nearby town of Lubniewice is quite probably one of the most beautiful towns in the west of Poland.
Related page on Polish Poland: a summer walk around Sulecin as it looks today.