Pre-war Hammerstein / Czarne
A selection of pre-war images of the town of Hammerstein / Czarne, Pomerania, Poland.
During the First World War the Germans established a large prisoner-of-war camp for Russian prisoners of war in Hammerstein / Czarne, which went on to become the Stalag II-B P.O.W Camp during the Second World War. It was here that tens of thousands, of mainly Soviet prisoners, died from disease, mistreatment and malnutrition.
The name Hammerstein was changed to Czarne when the town and region became part of Poland in 1945.
Czarne (former Hammerstein) is a town with a population of around 6,000 in the south-west corner of the Pomeranian Voivodeship of Poland.