Third Reich Labour Service Camps in Poland
In the 1930s the ‘Reichsarbeitsdienst’ RAD Labour Service was a major work program established by the Third Reich throughout pre-war Germany. The aim of the program and camps was to lessen the effects of unemployment, improve the economy, militarise the workforce, and indoctrinate those taking part in Nazi ideology. The organisation set up a chain of labour camps where much of the training and work took place.
From June 1935 on, all German men aged between 18 and 25 had to serve six months with the RAD before compulsory military service.
After the redrawing of the Polish / German borders in 1945 what remained of many of these RAD camps were then located within the borders of Poland. One of many such camps was located a short drive from us in the village of Przytoczna (former Prittisch) in the province of Lubuskie, western Poland.
Related contented on Polish Poland: Old pre-war images of Prittisch / Przytoczna.