Here are a selection of pre-war images from our old picture archive of the town of Dzierżoniów (former: Reichenbach) in Lower Silesia, Poland.
Random nuggets about Dzierżoniów
- Prior to 1945 Dzierżoniów was named Reichenbach and part of Germany.
- Reichenbach was renamed Rychbach in 1945 and then changed again to Dzierżoniów in 1946.
- Dzierżoniów takes its name from the Polish priest and beekeeper Jan Dzierżon.
- The current population of the town is around 33,000.
More facts about Dzierżoniów
- The town was captured from the defending German forces by the Red Army on 8th May 1945.
- Thirteen beautiful and historic tenement houses forming the northern frontage of the market square were demolished in the late 1960s.
- The Pilawa River passes through Dzierżoniów.
- Dzierżoniów is around 60 kms south west of the city of Wrocław.