News from Poland
The world’s tallest statue of Jesus Christ was consecrated today by Bishop Stefan Regmunt in Swiebodzin, Lubuskie, western Poland!
The statue reaches a total height of 36 meters, which is three metres higher than the more famous statue of Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro. The statue is constructed of reinforced concrete statue and has been designed by Miroslaw Pateckiego. The estimated 6 million zloty cost of the statue has been met by the voluntary donations of local parishioners and entrepreneurs, and ex-pat Poles living in America and Britain.
Related content on Polish Poland: more about the town of Świebodzin.
A black and white image of ulica Szpitalna in Schwiebus / Świebodzin, Lubuskie, Poland, c.1970.
Three super images featuring four different parts of Swiebodzin, Poland, in the 1970s.
A photograph from 1970 showing a communist-era apartment block and German-era architecture in one image.
Three different locations in Swiebodzin, Lubuskie, Poland. This postcard was posted in 1974 to Berlin.
Świebodzin is a town with a population of around 20,000 and located in the province of Lubuskie in the west of Poland. What will be the world’s tallest statue of Jesus Christ is currently being built on the edge of the town.
See also: old pre-war images of Schwiebus / Świebodzin.
A beautiful picture postcard of a steam train at the railway station in Schwiebus / Świebodzin around 1903; and three other old images of pre-war Świebodzin from our archive of all things Polish and Poland!
A very early lithographic picture postcard of Schwiebus / Swiebodzin, c.1899.
Neue Strasse (Ulica 30 Stycznia) in Schwiebus / Świebodzin, c.1910.
An old image of the center of Schwiebus / Świebodzin, c.1930.
On the 31st January 1945 the town of Schwiebus was occupied by Red Army troops and shortly after the existing population was expelled to the west of the new Oder-Neisse border, which now divides Poland from Germany. Poles, many of whom had also been displaced from areas now lost to Ukraine, moved in to Schwiebus and the town was renamed Świebodzin.
Related contenton Polish Poland: a selection of archive images of post-war Świebodzin.