Paprykarz szczeciński / Polish Fish Paste
A mid afternoon snack – Paprykarz szczecinski / Szczecin Fish Spread on dark rye bread.
Paprykarz szczeciński is a Polish paste and is a tasty mixture of minced sea fish (usually around 40%) with rice, onion, tomato concentrate, vegetable oil, salt, sugar, vinegar, and a variety of spices. It was probably most popular during the Communist-period but is still consumed in large quantities by Poles throughout the world to this day. The word szczeciński derives from the name of the city of Szczecin, in Western Pomerania, where it was initially produced in the late 1950s.
Three photographic postcards showing various locations in Stettin (Szczecin) before World War Two.
An old picture postcard of the river Oder (Odra) port area in Stettin (Szczecin) in around 1921. Click image to enlarge.
Stettin became an industrial city in the late 19th century and vastly increased in size and population, serving as a major port for Berlin. At the end of World War II Stettin’s status was in doubt, and the Soviet occupation authorities at first appointed officials from the city’s almost entirely German pre-war population. However, in July 1945, Polish authorities were permitted to take power. Stettin was renamed Szczecin and became part of Poland.
A photograph featuring Berliner Tor in Stettin, Pomerania, in the 1910s.
Following on from this Stettin, now called Szczecin, was demographically transformed from a German into a Polish city. The German population were expelled and Poles took their place. Most of Stettin’s settlers coming from deprived areas of Central Poland with a smaller number of Poles and Ukrainians from Polish areas annexed by the Soviet Union such as eastern Galicia.
The UFA Palast ‘Deutsches Familien Kaufhaus’ building in Stettin, c.1937.
Szczecin (Stettin) is located on the Oder River, south of the Szczecin Lagoon and the Bay of Pomerania. It is the capital city of the West Pomeranian Voivodeship of Poland. It is the Poland’s seventh-largest city and a major seaport in Poland. The population of Szczecin is currently more than 400,000.
See also our page about and images of ships and shipping in the river and port area of Stettin.
A postage stamp featuring the sailing ship ‘Fryderyk Chopin‘ issued by the Polish Post Office to commemorate the Tall Ships rally in Szczecin, Poland, in 2013.
Three photographs of ships and shipping on the River Oder in Stettin (Szczecin) prior to the end of World War Two.
A postcard of the River Oder (Odra) and skyline in Stettin (Szczecin), c.1910.
An old picture postcard of shipping on the River Oder in Stettin, c.1920. Click on picture to enlarge image.
Since the end of the Second World War in 1945 and the Polish / German border changes brought about by decisions made at the Potsdam conference Stettin has been known as Szczecin and is part of Poland.
A postcard of a ship in Stettin harbour in the early 1910s. This particular ship appears to be headed to the Baltic coast.
Related webpages on the Polish Poland website:
A postage stamp issued for the Tall Ships Festival in Szczecin in 2013.
More information and vintage pictures of pre-war Stettin (Szczecin).
Three photographs of Szczecin (Stettin) as it looked in the 1970s. Click on images to enlarge.
A look down at the River Odra (Oder) and docks area of Szczecin, Poland, c.1974.
A map of central Szczecin and three photographs of Szczecin on a postcard posted in 1974.
A fascinating look back at Szczecin (Stettin) as it looked at the end of the 1970s.
Related content on Polish Poland: Pre-war pictures of Stettin / Szczecin.